Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major consistency issues with Airplay after update to iOS 8.2 and ATV update 7.1 (003)

Organization: Educational K-12

Network Environment:

• Enterasys gear throughout (B5 switches, 3275 APs)
  • Occurring on all VLANs (including VLANs segregated for Airplay traffic / mDNS only)
  • Flow control is disabled on all ports
  • # of Apple TVs: 80+
  • # of iPads: 300+

iOS Device Type:

• iPads are gen2, gen3, iPad mini and iPad mini 2
  • Apple TVs are gen3

The symptoms reported thus far are:

1. 1) Apple TV does not show under the listed Airplay devices on the iPad
  2. 2) iPad connects to Apple TV over Airplay, but does not remain connected (immediately disconnects)
  3. 3) iPad connects to Apple TV over Airplay, and may work briefly before randomly disconnecting
  4. 4) iPad connects to Apple TV over Airplay, but a black screen is displayed on the Apple TV. However, if a media stream is initiated (i.e. using the YouTube app) audio and video will then play.
  5. 5) iPad connects to the Apple TV over Airplay, but streaming media does not work consistently (i.e. using the YouTube app, audio and video will play for 3 seconds and then stop)

What we have tried thus far to fix:

• Update all iPads (all generations) to latest iOS 8.2
  • Update all Apple TVs to latest iOS 7.1 (003)
  • Reboot all devices (iPads and Apple TVs)
  • Reset all devices to factory default settings, and supervised with Apple Configurator. Apple Configurator installs the a) enrollment profile for MDM b) trust profile for MDM c) wireless profile for WPA2 authentication on our 802.1x WiFi network

Overall notes: Airplay has been extremely inconsistent on all devices throughout the network, regardless of the VLAN.

iPad 2, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 1:15 PM

Airplay is seriously botched in iOS 8.2.

5 replies

Apr 7, 2015 8:25 AM in response to gasd.sysadmin

Is there anyone else having the same issues as noted above? Any luck with a fix / work-around?

We're contemplating purchasing Airserver / Reflector to replace the Apple TVs in an attempt to get back up and running. I'd hate to drop unnecessary money on the aforementioned software if possible. Our teachers have gone "all-in" with iPads and Apple TV, and rely heavily on the Airplay to bring the rich media content to life in the classroom.

Hoping there's a fix soon!

Aug 27, 2015 8:01 AM in response to gasd.sysadmin

gasd.sysadmin,

Did you ever find a fix to this problem... I too am having the exact same issue... I have older AppleTV's still on 6.2.1 that show up perfectly in airplay on ALL my ipad 2 and 3's with the latest ios 8.xxxx. ONLY the Apple TV's that I have upgraded, and are still on the iOS 7.2 DONT show in airplay anymore. I've done everything imaginable to fix.

Apple, if your monitoring any of these, please fix this crap ASAP!

Major consistency issues with Airplay after update to iOS 8.2 and ATV update 7.1 (003)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.