Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with Pages 09 file conversion to New Pages

I have several older reports created and saved in Pages 09. After upgrading to OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 I have attempted to use the new Pages. I have different types of photo reports that are not necessarily saved as templates but I use them as a template to create a new report. I open a file created in Pages 09 in Pages 5.5.2. It asks to upgrade or convert the file. When I do the conversion to new Pages many of the photos that were designated placeholders are now not able to be selected in the new pages. I cannot find any commands such as "background objects are selectable". Any help with this would be appreciated as I do not wish to create all new reports if I can avoid it. My other option is to use only Pages 09 but I am afraid it will become obsolete.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 11:49 AM

5 replies

Mar 26, 2015 1:11 PM in response to 98FatboyMark

In Pages v5.5.2, once you select a document object (e.g. image), an Arrange tab will appear in the Format panel. The Arrange tab controls object placement, wrapping style, position, sizing, and stacking order in the document. Unfortunately, those Back/Front/Backward/Forward buttons do not indicate that they have been selected — adding to the mystery of object stack. However, see if these controls help out with your image placement.

Apple took great pride in writing Pages v5 from scratch in 2013. It inherits almost nothing from Pages '09, and lacks about 100+ features found in the older application. Hence, the Inspector is gone. It will aggressively remove everything from a Pages '09 document that it does not support — and this mandates a backup Pages '09 document beforehand.

Apple has a pattern of obsolescence for all of its prior word processing applications/suites including some within the Pages v5 releases. As many of us do on Yosemite, use Pages '09 for its familiarity and functionality, and export your documents to Word format as a strategic document interchange measure. Think of it as clean as you go, so you are not faced with a future, bulk Pages document conversion headache.

Mar 26, 2015 1:25 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

Apple took great pride in writing Pages v5 from scratch in 2013. It inherits almost nothing from Pages '09, and lacks about 100+ features found in the older application. Hence, the Inspector is gone. It will aggressively remove everything from a Pages '09 document that it does not support — and this mandates a backup Pages '09 document beforehand.

Glad I was not drinking anything when reading the pride part 😁-- guess the downturn started when this mac came with ilife installed but I had to buy Iwork then found it didn't have a data-base. Guess pages users should start giving feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback/

And thanks for another reason not to update.

Mar 26, 2015 4:15 PM in response to 98FatboyMark

What if you click about a half inch from the image, and then drag your pointer in the form of a invisible rectangle around your image. That may select it, where direct click may prove tedious.

Is this an image that is intended to appear on every page? If true, it may have originally been moved to section master, and cannot be selected until you choose Arrange menu ▸ Section Masters ▸ Make Master Objects Selectable. If the image was a section master object, clicking on it will now show yellow grips. While it is selected, you can also choose Arrange menu ▸ Section Masters ▸ Move Object to Page. Now, it is a regular selectable image.

Issue with Pages 09 file conversion to New Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.