Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting images using iPhoto and a 128GB SD card and a Sony a6000

I am having a problem with deleting images after transfer to my mac using either iPhoto or Aperture (All newest version) under Yosemite 10.10.2. What happens is I can transfer images and video from the a6000 into my mac but when asked to delete and answering that it is okay to delete I run into an issue. When after deleting the images in iPhoto and looking at the a6000's stored images there are blanks that have the filenames but know images. I have to format the SD card to get them cleared off the SD card. I would say it is a bug. It happens in both iPhoto and Aperture. And this occurs regardless of if I use an SD USB reader or hook up the camera video USB. The bundled software called PlayMemories from Sony doesn't has a feature to delete the images off the camera. The a6000 is a newer model and I think the way Sony organizes things on the SD card is crazy but it would be nice to have the delete feature in iPhoto actually works like every other camera I've owned.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 4:13 PM

Yes but... you really don't want to use the iPhoto delete feature.

Never let your computer erase data without you first checking that the data is safe. Specifically never use iPhoto (or any other app) to delete the photos from your Camera Card. Disconnect the camera, check the transfer has gone correctly and then use your Camera to Reformat the Card. This has three advantages:

1. You know your data is safe - because you've taken the time to check it.

2. Reformatting the card is much, much faster - takes a couple of seconds

3. Reformatting also refreshes the Directory Structure on the Card, helping prevent issues with the card and prolonging its life.

But that's my 2 cents.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2015 4:13 PM in response to dayru

Yes but... you really don't want to use the iPhoto delete feature.

Never let your computer erase data without you first checking that the data is safe. Specifically never use iPhoto (or any other app) to delete the photos from your Camera Card. Disconnect the camera, check the transfer has gone correctly and then use your Camera to Reformat the Card. This has three advantages:

1. You know your data is safe - because you've taken the time to check it.

2. Reformatting the card is much, much faster - takes a couple of seconds

3. Reformatting also refreshes the Directory Structure on the Card, helping prevent issues with the card and prolonging its life.

But that's my 2 cents.

Deleting images using iPhoto and a 128GB SD card and a Sony a6000

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.