Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP to Samsung HDTV no picture

Hi, I have a MBP8.3 OSX 10.9.5. I try to connect to a Samsung series 5203 LED TV as an external second display using a Minidisplayport/thunderbolt to HMDI adapter/cable. The MBP recognizes a Samsung device, but no picture. The Samsung recognizes a wire in the HDMI port so the TV 'source' is correct. I have tried both HMDI ports on TV. I have tried all the display resolutions either with mirror or non mirror options. The mini display port--VGA adaptor will drive properly an INSIGNA external monitor. Any suggestions? Love my MAC but out of my knowledgebase here. Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 2:49 PM

1 reply

Mar 26, 2015 3:14 PM in response to Alarik108

Your display may not be on the "approved" list, or was removed from it. (Sony televisions seem to fail the HDCP handshake more than others.)

Apple's Mac lines includes a form of digital copy protection that will prevent protected media, such as DRM-infused iTunes movies, from playing back on devices that aren't compliant with the new priority protection measures.

The Hollywood demanded technology is called High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) and aims to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across a variety of display connectors, even if such copying is not in violation of fair use laws.

Among the connectors supported by the technology are the Mini DisplayPort found on Macs, in addition to others such as Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), Gigabit Video Interface (GVIF), Unified Display Interface (UDI) and Thunderbolt.

Apple has apparently acquired a license for the technology and is now using it across its lines to to prevent transmission of purchased iTunes content (and some DVDs) to devices that don't include support for HDCP.

MBP to Samsung HDTV no picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.