Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest OS update 2015-003 and iWeb

IWeb has just started to do this Publish Error - "Can’t create the file. The disk may be damaged or full, or you may not have sufficient access privileges." The files it won't publish are all images and have all been previously published many times - I update sites regularly. It's just started mixing images around and swapping them for each other also.

I've tried most of the published fixes but have no com.apple.iWeb.plist. I recently updated my OS with Security Update 2015-003 and this I think might be the culprit.

Can anyone help? Thanks for looking

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 1:59 PM

Yes you do have a com.apple.iWeb.plist file. You're just not looking in the right Library folder. You want the Users/Home/LIbrary/Preferences folder.

Try all of the following:

1 - delete the iWeb preference file, com.apple.iWeb.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents of your User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iWeb folder.

User uploaded file

3 - launch iWeb and try again.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder. It also works with Mavericks and Yosemite.

If you're running Mavericks or Yosemite go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Susie G

Yes you do have a com.apple.iWeb.plist file. You're just not looking in the right Library folder. You want the Users/Home/LIbrary/Preferences folder.

Try all of the following:

1 - delete the iWeb preference file, com.apple.iWeb.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents of your User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iWeb folder.

User uploaded file

3 - launch iWeb and try again.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder. It also works with Mavericks and Yosemite.

If you're running Mavericks or Yosemite go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi OT - also iWeb still has the same error message/s saying "Can’t create the file “shapeimage_20.png.” The disk may be damaged or full, or you may not have sufficient access privileges." even though there is no longer a "shapeimage_20.png" because I firstly replaced it with an image from my published site which I renamed and then when that failed I redrew the shapeimage in iWeb. It still seems to be trying and failing to publish images that don't exist. Do you think this means that it's still some sort of memory problem (iWeb, I mean, not me!). Thanks for your help! Susie

Mar 26, 2015 3:54 PM in response to Old Toad

I'm publishing to a folder - I've been doing this for literally years with no problems and have published all the troubling images before no probs even a couple of days ago. Now iWeb's still showing the error message and still mixing up my images - I think it's trying to tell me something about graphic design! Thanks for staying with me - it's a big deal for me. S

Mar 26, 2015 4:46 PM in response to Susie G

Do you know which page of the website is causing the error message? If so create a new website in iWeb and move that web page to it. Then try publishing the original site again. If it publishes successfully you can create a new page to replace the bad one and copy and past the elements, from the old to the new, a couple at a time and republish until you find the culprit.

We don't know how much longer iWeb will work. When OS X 10.11 comes along it may be the death knell for iWeb for all we know.

This might be a good time to consider migrating to a website application that is currently being actively supported by it's developers and has all of the new features that iWeb does not. One that many have gone to is EverWeb because it is very much like iWeb in it's interface and drag and drop capability. It has a 30 day demo version you can try. Of all the possible replacements available it's the most iWeb like.

Mar 26, 2015 5:58 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks OT. I removed the 2 offending pages, created new ones and re-built them publishing bit by bit and it worked. I now have to edit links to them both from the other 87 pages! Any idea what's causing this? I do use Everweb and WordPress for new sites but haven't persuaded some clients to upgrade their websites yet as their websites are perfectly good and there's no benefit for them - not sure where I stand legally other than spending weeks rebuilding sites for free. And yes, Everweb is my preferred choice. Thanks for all your help. Susie

May 20, 2015 4:35 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi OT,

I downloaded my EverWeb in January'15 and it's still on my hard drive. I've never been allowed to FTP publish, but can viewpages from my Mac as if it were live., via Firefox.

So have they scrapped the 30 days trial and substituted no final publishing as an alternative? I'm reluctant to contact EverWeb's people in case they might somehow end my trial!

I'm a bit of a slow learner, but am well versed in iWeb, which is why I'm transferring my old site over to EverWeb....slowly but surely.

Sep 21, 2015 6:00 AM in response to ragesw

Hi Paul,

Things my end have been on hold for a while (too many grandchildren to look after in the hols), but as you're from RAGE, could you tell me if there's a way of transferring one of the page templates from iweb to EverWeb?

I particularly like the one I use on my existing site at: http://www.lakesweddingmusic.com/Welcome.html with the banner at the top of each page which contains the page title and links to other pages.

I have no difficulty moving text, images, etc., from other parts of my iweb site, but I would really like to transfer my existing page header (is that the right term?) to my EverWeb site eventually, if possible.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sep 24, 2015 7:17 AM in response to PeterUK

@PeterUK: Feel free to contact support from our site, we are hear to help and can get you started. You can copy and paste from an old iWeb site, either by loading the published site in your browser, or directly from iWeb. You can also ask on our free discussion forms linked from our website.

@Old Toad: Can you contact me through the support page on our site or my first name @ragesw.com? I have a question for you.

Latest OS update 2015-003 and iWeb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.