Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ICloud backup on iPhone & ipad

i have an iPhone 6 and an iPad air 2. Both devices have Icloud backup enabled for both devices ( i.e., iPhone backs up iPhone and iPad & ipad backs up iPhone & ipad ). I am contstanly being advised I'm out of storage. Should I delete iPad backup from my iPhone and delete iPhone backup from my ipad? Both are backed up to my computer.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.2, iPad Air 2

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 11:48 AM

Those backup's are not on the devices, they are stored in iCloud. It will show you any back ups that exist in iCloud (including old devices you may no longer use). If you delete the backup on one, it will be gone on the other.

You are limited to a total of 5GB of free iCloud storage, unless you purchase more. It would not be unusual at all for two devices to fill 5 GB in back up space. Frankly, if you are backing up using iTunes, I'd would stick with that and turn off the iCloud backups, at least for one of the devices. Its nice to have redundancy, but in this case to continue to do so will cost you some money.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Rainbowfayz

Those backup's are not on the devices, they are stored in iCloud. It will show you any back ups that exist in iCloud (including old devices you may no longer use). If you delete the backup on one, it will be gone on the other.

You are limited to a total of 5GB of free iCloud storage, unless you purchase more. It would not be unusual at all for two devices to fill 5 GB in back up space. Frankly, if you are backing up using iTunes, I'd would stick with that and turn off the iCloud backups, at least for one of the devices. Its nice to have redundancy, but in this case to continue to do so will cost you some money.

ICloud backup on iPhone & ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.