Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

strange hostname being assigned

Periodically, I see in console on a new Macbook Pro running the latest Yosemite that my hostname is assigned correctly (my macbook pro) but seconds later is changed to a hostname of internalcheck.apple.com. Why or how would this be happening? It seems that turning off the airport and rebooting the modem/router (all in one) fixes he problem for a week or two, then the problem, if it is a problem, returns. It's a simple home network, two computers connecting to one Actiontek modem/router supplied by the ISP (Centurylink), wirelessly, typically only computer in use at any given time. The other is a Mini with 10.6.8, and I don't see this on the Mini. On both computers, sharing and Bonjour and bluetooth are all turned off. There are no Apple TVs or iPads, nothing else using the connection. The Actiontek is wpa/wpa2 secured, with MAC filtering enabled, and I see no other devices that have shown up as having connected. I've also noticed when looking at headers on Webmail coming from the mail program on the MB Pro, instead of seeing the public IP and the 198... lan IP, when this is happening, I see internalcheck.apple.com where the 198... lan IP usually is. Any ideas? I've never used terminal, and am so tech ignorant, am afraid to. I don't see that this is causing any problems with the mac or with connectivity, but can't help but wonder why my computer (or the network?) is assigning a hostname like internalcheck.apple.com to my local machine, and why it switches back and forth between that and the usual correct hostname. The computer name in sharing preferences (turned off) doesn't change. The Actiontec is on DSL and is assigned a dynamic public IP, and assigns the computers a local IP within a range that most always stays the same. Network preferences are set to automatic.

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 2:17 PM

23 replies

Mar 26, 2015 3:21 PM in response to jjrrss

It is very likely related to the Actiontec's DNS settings, which you can change using its configuration webpage. You may need to ask your ISP how to do that.

Read what BobHarris had to say about hostname and its relationship to your DNS server in this post: Unknown hostname in Terminal

He was kind enough to respond in this otherwise unrelated post: Re: deleting files requires password. If you reply to him in that thread, you might get his attention.

Mar 26, 2015 8:04 PM in response to jjrrss

I'm with Linc Davis on this. I would like to see the log messages. And which log they are coming from.

In the other posts where you were attempting to get my attention, that was totally related to using the Terminal and the bash shell prompt based on a reverse DNS lookup from IP address to hostname based on what the DNS server said.

What you posting may or may not be the same thing, and until we see the actual log messages, it is just a guessing game.

Mar 26, 2015 8:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

3/26/15 8:02:52.128 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "internalcheck.apple.com"

3/26/15 8:02:52.295 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "..-MacBook-Pro.local"

3/26/15 8:02:53.429 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "internalcheck.apple.com"

3/26/15 8:28:03.829 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "...-MacBook-Pro.local"

3/26/15 8:28:04.272 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "internalcheck.apple.com"

3/26/15 8:59:58.663 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "...-MacBook-Pro.local"

3/26/15 8:59:58.807 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "internalcheck.apple.com"

3/26/15 9:14:42.646 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "...-MacBook-Pro.local"

3/26/15 9:14:42.894 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "internalcheck.apple.com"

3/26/15 11:29:54.698 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "...-MacBook-Pro.local"

3/26/15 11:29:54.793 AM configd[25] setting hostname to "internalcheck.apple.com"

3/26/15 1:54:30.096 PM configd[25] setting hostname to "...-MacBook-Pro.local"

The ... are just where the name goes. Rebooting modem/router stops this and it stays ... MacBook-Pro.local for a week or two, then does this again.

Mar 26, 2015 8:31 PM in response to jjrrss

As an experiment, assign your own DNS server to your Mac. This will remove your actiontec as your local DNS server.

System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> DNS -> [+]

Try the the OpenDNS or Google DNS server addresses:

OpenDNS.org

Google DNS

I suggest this because you say rebooting the Actiontec stops this from happening for a week or so. If this is being caused by the Actiontec being the default local DNS server, the providing your own non-local DNS server addresses should take the Actiontec out of the loop.

Later after the experiment has provided positive or negative information, you can remove the DNS server using:

System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> DNS -> Select the entry -> [-]

Mar 26, 2015 10:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

I thank you for your responses. Are you each providing stand alone resolutions, or should I try all the above. I think it must be something between that machine, the MB Pro with Yosemite and the modem/ISP DNS, as my Mini (still with 10.6.8... it's old), which was used during the same period of time as the log sampling I posted, only shows a configd message setting hostname to the name I would expect... nothing about internalcheck.apple .com. Why that URL? Would the Mail program being open on the MB Pro cause it? I can find very little about this URL using Google, only that it has a bunch of Apple mail servers and sometimes causes others worry with Little Snitch, or even shows up as a shared drive or server for some. I haven't seen anything like that. In fact, when I first saw this, I disabled any reports regarding crashes and such from being sent to Apple, as I thought perhaps that's the URL the info goes out to, just to see if doing so would stop this. The Mini, on which I don't use the mail program, uses the same Actiontec modem/router wirelessly, like the Pro, and uses the same auto DNS servers with the ISP, but none of this hostname nonsense is showing up in the Mini's console log. I'd never have looked at the console myself, as I find looking at the console logs mostly useless, if I hadn't seen the headers showing internalcheck.apple.com as the name given for the email coming from Apple Mail on the Pro.. Anyway, I will do as Linc says first off, but I'll be heading off to bed after and won't be posting again until tomorrow. Thanks again, we'll see how these suggestions, starting with Link's instructions with the Sharing pane, work out. Good night.

Mar 27, 2015 5:05 AM in response to jjrrss

jjrrss wrote:

I thank you for your responses. Are you each providing stand alone resolutions, or should I try all the above.

My suggestion is not a resolution, but would help in analyzing if any static IP addresses are causing problems. On the ActionTec, you can create DNS reservations and provide hostnames which will be provided back to clients when they request IPs. If you switch between a wired and wireless connection, be aware that the MAC address of the two interfaces on the client Mac machine are different and can cause name issues.

Mar 27, 2015 6:28 AM in response to jjrrss

The box for using dynamic global hostname was already unchecked in the sharing pref pane.

I know this is going to sound "Stupid", but "Check" the box, quit System Preferences. then come back and "Uncheck" the box.

Sometimes the .plist files get out-of-sync, and setting a preference, then unsetting it sometimes cleans things up.

NOTE: I DO NOT know if Linc Davis's suggestion to unset "Use dynamic global hostname" is going to do anything, but I would not automatically dismiss any of his suggestions either.

Are you each providing stand alone resolutions, or should I try all the above.

They are independent ideas. In my case I'm just throwing things against the wall, to see if anything sticks. I am trying to suggest useful things to throw, but I now know exactly what is going on. Plus I figure if providing your own DNS server changes behavior, we will at least have a data point that points to the Actiontec or your ISP's DNS servers. If it changes nothing we will have eliminated DNS as the issue.

----------

Another thing you can experiment with is explicitly changing your hostname via an Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal session (BUT ONLY do 1 experiment at a time, otherwise you never know what change affected the experiment)

sudo scutil --set HostName "name-you-want-for-your-mac"

Again, 1 experiment at a time. So far you have 3 (maybe 2 and a half, depending on whether toggling the "Use dynamic global hostname" is still a viable experiment).

Mar 27, 2015 8:41 AM in response to BobHarris

I understand, and again thank all who have contributed to helping me understand/resolve this. I suppose the most important question I could ask is, if all things seem to be working and I'm not noticing connection problems, does this even matter? I decided to blow off the usual "it just works" attitude in this case because I thought it was strange that the configd was setting the hostname as a .com (even if it looks like an apple.com) rather than a .local, and doing this just after it had already set the hostname correctly, making the change from one to the other in less than a second.

It's made me wonder if it could be a security issue or something malicious.

The Mini, running 10.6.8, and with a different modem assigned LAN IP, doesn't get these hostname flips, or, at least, nothing is logged suggesting it is. It must be a relationship between the Pro, or Yosemite, or the Pro's local IP, and the Actiontek and/or ISP, which is CenturyLink/Qwest. There are three other differences I know of between the Mini and the Pro. The Mini only connects wifi, while the Pro occasionally connects via Ethernet (different MAC and different assigned local IP from airport). The Mini never connects to any other network. The Pro connects to our home network and to my wife's school network, depending on where she is. The Mini has all native software. The Pro has Office Libre and MacFreedom added.

I did put a check the dynamic global box last night, filled in the info asked for, went to a few webpages to see if I'd killed anything, and then unchecked it, but can't recall if I'd closed system prefs in the meantime.

The wife has the computer at school today, so I don't have physical access again until after work this evening and can't try other suggestions right away. The console log has always, regardless of machine or modem/router, logged issues with DNS through CenturyLink/Qwest and/or the modem/router they send us, but I've always ignored them as we never have had noticeable issues. Things work. I can tinker with the local modem assigned IPs by removing the Pro from the Actiontec, connecting with an old Pro that has real issues, so that the older pro then becomes the ....2 IP, and then connect with the new Pro, which would be assigned a different local IP and see if the problem is related to the specific local IP. We don't use the old Pro anymore, but it just occurred to me that it may have had the same name as the new one, and we have used it on this Actiontec... of course it has a different airport MAC, but it used to have the same local IP that the new Pro has now. Hmmm. Maybe relevant, but still, why internalcheck.apple.com?

The Pro's security options are locked down except for location services, the firewall is on, but not the higher "allow only" option, and not stealth. No sharing is on or used in the system prefs, iTunes, nothing that I know of. No iCloud account. iMessage is used, as we are still have old flip phones and rarely text. That's all I can think of for now that may or may not be useful. I can try the alternate DNS addresses with Open or Google, and have wanted to for a while, but wonder if CenturyLink even allows it. Wouldn't I have to change the numbers in the Actiontec too?

Again, the main question is... does this config hostname flip from the proper .local to internalcheck.apple.com matter if things are otherwise working normally from the user perspective? I've not heard of a hostname being flipped from the .local to a .com. All I could find were instances of sequential numbers being added to the hostname when searching the forum. My only real concern is could this be a security/privacy issue? Would you log into your bank account if you saw this happening on your machine? Or, is it just a DNS anomaly or a modem that needs replacing, or something that does not likely mean the Pro is vulnerable or already screwed. Also, again, could it be related in some way to the Apple Mail program being always open, as that URL is reported to be related to many apple mail servers, and the URL shows up in the email headers sent from Apple Mail on the Pro when this is happening. I've probably given too much info to digest in one reading. Sorry.

Mar 27, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Linc Davis

John Galt and Link Davis have both pointed to the Actiontec's DNS settings. I don't know how to change them... as far as I know, it comes automatically from the ISP (I didn't set it ) and then goes automatically to the device. I can call them. It seems weird that the issue is seemingly fixed, at least concerning this particular Console messaging, with a modem power reboot, but then a week or two later, the messages start again. I should check the network prefs on the Pro and the DNS addresses in the Actiontec the next time this happens to see if they are changing, or would this configuration problem have nothing to do with the numbers, but something more "under the hood" in the advanced set up? I wish the free market would be true to its promise and create more choice rather than less choice concerning service providers... alternatives get gobbled up by the biggies, and here, which is a city with two nearby major universities and lots of Tech companies, the fastest speed I can buy from CL is 5m, and I actually get around 3.5m, and when it rains or snows the connection for both internet and phone are terrible. The alternative is Comcast.

Sorry Link, I posted my mammoth message before seeing your latest contribution to this discussion. Still, I would appreciate it if you would read through it and answer, if you're able, a couple of the main questions I pose there, mainly the one concerning security, and there may be a bit of important info in there I hadn't previously thought of.

Thanks again to all involved with their ideas on what is going on and how to stop it, if it needs to be stopped. I'm not sure how to proceed with changing the DNS settings on this ActionTec PK5000, as so much of it is CL specific and automatically set up by them. I've done simple things like changing the admin info, wifi security password, etc... but not anything more involved or risky if I could screw it up.

J

strange hostname being assigned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.