Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto-I need help identifying where the photos are

On another forum (Mac rumours), somebody posted:

the way iPhoto works is that when you import pictures into iPhoto, it will be stored on an iPhoto library file, literally called "iPhoto Library". This file is normally stored in your "Pictures" folder, but if you moved it to an external hard drive, thats where it will be. So any stray pictures you can see outside of iPhoto (for example, any pictures you see in your pictures folder) doesn't necessarily mean its in iPhoto, and are not actually linked to iPhoto in any way. So anything you do to those, whether its delete, edit, or move, the iPhoto library will not capture those changes since it has its own copy of the file stored in the iPhoto library file.

My Q is this: I see numerous photos right below the iPhoto library, in Finder (see below): are the .jpg files that I see, the ones that are in my iPhoto library? In others words, if I delete them, will they also be deleted from my iPhoto library? It would seem from the above posting that the "stray" photos are *not* part of the iPhoto library, but I'm unclear as to whether this is so, or whether I've misunderstood what they wrote. I want to know if the individual jpg's (that are listed under iphoto library, *are* my photos within my iPhoto library.

Thanks very much!

User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 12:40 PM

19 replies

Mar 26, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Psych13

They are not in your iPhoto Library. They re in a folder that happens to be called 'iPhoto Libraries'.

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

If you're running a Managed Library then deleting them will not affect iPhoto.

Mar 26, 2015 1:38 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Keith:

Thanks a lot for this. So, I *have* checked the iPhoto Library (by that, I mean clicking on iPhoto library-the 20.12 gb file you see above in my screenshot) and my photos are all there. At least, I'm 99.9% sure they are *all* there. I've created albums and moved some photos into albums, but suffice to say that when I open iPhoto, I have 2,000+ photos in "Photos" and in my most recent album I have 900; when I count the # in the above screen shot, there are approx 1,100 so I'm sure I have all or most of them. I'm just wondering how they got there....

Terrence:

I didn't make any change to the Library settings and the box *is* checked so I'm presuming I don't have a referenced library. My iPhoto library is on my external hard drive-I've chosen that location to import my photos from my iPhone, With that, what is the difference between my iPhoto library and a folder called "iphoto libraries"; I must have created the folder called iPhoto libraries, but the jpg's that are in that folder are also the photos/files that are in my iPhoto library....give or take a few (I've deleted some along the way from my iPhoto library).

I'm not understanding the structure of the files, i.e., can I safely delete the .jpg files in the folder "iPhoto libraries"? Terrence-from what you can see in the screenshot, did I manually copy the files to that location? I don't recall doing so. All I know is that I imported my photos from my iPhone to my external hard drive.

When I click on iPhoto library....the large file (20.12 gb) all of my photos are there.

Many thanks for any clarification you can provide (I'm happy to provide further screen shots for you if it will help you make sense of my structuring)!

Mar 26, 2015 1:44 PM in response to Psych13

User uploaded file

Launch iPhoto and search for "IMG_5483" using the search field.

When this photo is found, select it and use the command "File > Reveal in Finder > Original File".

This will open a Finder window showing you, where the original file is stored. Check the location of this file. Is it inside the iPhoto Library package or is it the folder outside your iPhoto Library?

Mar 26, 2015 2:29 PM in response to léonie

You're a star-thanks so much for explaining that the Masters folder is inside the iPhoto library package. I wasn't sure if that was the case.

Is this "Masters" folder the same folder that I can see when I right click on iPhoto Library and choose "Show package contents? Is "Masters" where all of the photos are kept? If yes, is it safe/possible to drag and drop photos into the Masters folder (and would that then automatically import them to iPhoto)?

Many thanks,,,

Mar 26, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Psych13

The filenames and creation dates are the same, so the first is is a copy. Did you perhaps export the photos or drag them from the iPhoto browser?

If you have a Time Machine backup, you could go bak in time and check, when the duplicates appeared. Anyway, iPhoto does not use the duplicate outside the library. It uses the copy you are seeing inside. So it is safe to delete the one outside.

Mar 26, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Psych13

Is this "Masters" folder the same folder that I can see when I right click on iPhoto Library and choose "Show package contents? Is "Masters" where all of the photos are kept? If yes, is it safe/possible to drag and drop photos into the Masters folder (and would that then automatically import them to iPhoto)?

Yes. it s the same folder, and it must not be modified in any way. If you want to import photos to iPhoto, drag them onto the iPhot icon in the Dock.

You cannot simply drop photos into the Masters folder or delete from the folder. The iPhoto library is a relational database and all photos inside are linked by database entries, that iPhoto manages. If you move items around on yoir own, iPhoto will lose track of the originals and edited versions.

Mar 26, 2015 3:00 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for that Leonie; to be honest, I can't even remember what I did, but yes, it is very possible that I did export or drag the photos from the iphoto browser. I have a TM backup, but I'm not that concerned to find out when the duplicates appeared. I'm more wondering: if the 5483 jpg in the first

screenshot is a duplicate, does that mean I can safely delete it and the original will still be in the location of the second screenshot?

And finally, is it safe/possible to drag and drop photos into the Masters folder (and would that then automatically import them to iPhoto)?

You've answered my last question...thank you!

Best wishes...

Mar 26, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Psych13

Sorry to be a pain: if I want to attach a photo to an email I am sending: am I best to go into iPhoto library package-into the Masters folder, or should I be going to the .jpgs that are in the first screen shot (in the folder iPhoto libraries)? If I plan on deleting all of the .jpg's in the iPhoto libraries (the copies) it will leave me with no choice but to select my photos from the Masters folder, right? or am I wrong in thinking this?

iPhoto-I need help identifying where the photos are

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.