Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not enough memory to print this document

Hello all,

I am trying to print tax forms, something I have done for years with no problem. I used a popular tax program to create a PDF file, copied this file to my G3/266 running Mac OS 9.1, and opened it using Acrobat Reader 4.0. Several pages show X's in boxes where the characters should be. I assume this is a font problem with Acrobat Reader 4.0, so I opened the file using Acrobat Reader 5.0, and all pages are rendered properly.

Once I tried to print, I remembered why I have been using Acrobat Reader 4.0: I've never been able to print from version 5.0. When printing from version 5.0, it spools to disk for background printing, then gives a warning: "Not enough memory to print this document". I tried printing the first page of Acrobat Reader's help pages - same problem. Here's a list of what I've tried:

Background printing on & off

Acrobat Memory: 12,288 KB (Suggested), 24 MB, 128 MB

Print Monitor: 16,384 KB, 128 MB

Always the same error.

My G3/266 has 768 MB of RAM

The printer is a LaserWriter Select, which is why I use Mac OS 9.1 to print.

Any ideas how to fix the font problem so I can print form Acrobat Reader 4.0 or how to make Acrobat Reader 5.0 print properly?

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 1:11 PM

10 replies

Mar 26, 2015 2:05 PM in response to WoodPlane

Acrobat Memory: 12,288 KB (Suggested), 24 MB, 128 MB

I forget what these numbers may mean. What is the 24mb? Is 128mg the amount of memory you have?

What app did you use to create the print output?

Did you use the app to create the pdf? if so, try creating the pdf file from print output menu in os x.

I'll as the mods to move this to Classic Mac OS (OS9, OS8 & System 7)

Robert

Mar 26, 2015 2:42 PM in response to rccharles

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

In Mac OS 9, the minimum and preferred memory allocation limits may be set by the user. By selecting the application's icon and selecting "Get Info", a panel provides these fields. The application always shows a suggested memory size. Acrobat Reader 5.0 has a suggested memory size of 12,288 KB, I tried raising it to 24 MB, then again to 128 MB. My computer has 768 MB of RAM.

I used TurboTax 2012 running under Mac OS 10.6.8 to create the PDF file by selecting the "Print Returns to Mail" button. It pulls up a system print window with the PDF button, from which I select the "Save as PDF..." option. On my Mac OS 10.6.8 system, the only printer listed in this window is the "Photosmart C4700 series [B6D0EB]", but this has always been the case, and is what I have always used to print.

I have opened the PDF file, created as described, using Preview, and used "Save As..." to save a new copy, using the "Black & White" Quartz filter, since this version of TurboTax wants to use colored tax forms. This should give me a PDF that is entirely created by Mac OS 10.6.8. I have also opened that PDF file again, and done a "Save As...", using the "Create Generic PDFX-3 Document" Quartz filter. I get the same errors when I try to print either PDF file.

How does one ask the moderators to move a post?

Scott

Mar 26, 2015 9:08 PM in response to rccharles

I think one work-around may be to remove the font issues by performing a "Save as..." TIFF in Preview. I have done this, but run into a problem:

On Mac OS 9.2.1, QuickTime 5.0.2 can only display the first page of the multi-page TIFF created by Preview 5.0.3.

Is there some program that runs under Mac OS 9.2.1 that will open a multi-page TIFF file?

Is there an easy way to save each page to its own TIFF file in Preview?

Mar 26, 2015 10:05 PM in response to WoodPlane

Try graphic converter. 8 & 9.

http://download.cnet.com/GraphicConverter-Classic/3000-2192_4-1873.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever looked into getting your printer to print on Mac os x pc?

Have you tried to share the printer in classic. It is a postscript printer so should be compatible.

GimpPrint has a driver search for apple. LIst not fully sorted.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php

Mar 26, 2015 10:06 PM in response to WoodPlane

Update:

I think one work-around may be to remove the font issues by performing a "Save as..." TIFF in Preview. I can select each page of the PDF file individually in the sidebar, select Copy, then New, to create one TIFF file for each page.

I have done this, but run into a problem:

To view TIFF files requires QuickTime 5, but Mac OS 9.1 has QT 4, so I installed 9.2.1 on an external disk, which has QT 5.

For whatever reason, I have never been able to get printing to work properly on Mac OS 9.2.1, which is why I run 9.1.

The system runs very slow and I cannot restart because it says it is printing a job, the job that has been canceling for half an hour.

Mar 26, 2015 11:13 PM in response to WoodPlane

The slow Mac OS 9.2.1 system and failure to print anything at all was related to the serial port selection. Try as I might to make it use the printer port, it always uses the modem port, so I moved the wire. I can now print from QuickTime, but the result is poor print quality - the print area is only 5.5 x 7.5" and the text is grainy whether the TIFF file was created with 150 or 300 DPI. I can still print fine from Acrobat Reader 4.0, but the pages that had unrecognized fonts still do.

The Acrobat Reader 5.0 folder has several extension files, which I moved to the System folder. Same "not enough memory" error.

Mar 27, 2015 7:25 PM in response to WoodPlane

The work-around is to use Preview to convert the PDF file to a TIFF file, then use Preview to convert the TIFF file to a PDF file. That eliminates the fonts and instead makes it a bit-mapped file. On the Mac OS 9.x side, I open the file using Acrobat Reader 4.0.? to print. This works and it looks perfect.

This still does not answer why Acrobat Reader 5.0 creates print files that the Finder cannot print, complaining that there is not enough memory. It does make the question moot.

Not enough memory to print this document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.