Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook pro 2011 has a grey screen on start up.

I was running OSX lion when it went blue and grey. so I restarted it, and there was still a grey screen. Then I shutdown the system and pressed command +r and power to get to osx utilities and repair the disk and erase. after I had erased it, I then Downloaded lion and updated it to OSX Yosemite. The system was working flawlessly in Yosemite, I even restarted it a couple time to make sure. I was done for the day and I put sleep on and then noticed that it had froze. I shut it down then restarted it and now its just a apple logo with a progression bar, after the bar get 1/3 the way through it goes all grey. Cannot enter safe mode or recovery mode like before. I have reset SMC and pram/nvram. still no fix. In verbose mode( command + v), it says a couple of warnings like:

Warning: couldn't block sleep during cache update.

Warning: proceeding w/o DiskArb

GPU hardware vm disabled

Is this a hardware issue or an OS issue?

I don't have a reinstallation disk

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 1:39 PM

17 replies

May 7, 2017 9:52 AM in response to hunterw96

Hey there, did you happen to ever find a fix for this issue?

I recently replaced the HDD after the MacBP took a fall and reinstalled the new OS, and now I'm having the exact same issue. I ran in Verbose mode and it gave me the exact same errors as you.

Same model MBP, 17", passes a Hardware diagnostics test, so I don't think anything besides HDD was damaged in fall.

Let me know what you ended up doing! Thanks.

Mar 26, 2015 3:16 PM in response to hunterw96

Try this:

Boot the MBP with the OPTION + COMMAND + R keys.

If successful, you should see a revolving globe.

If you follow the instructions you will be connected to the Apple servers.

You will see a 4 option menu that will allow you to select Disk Utility and try to repair the HDD. You also will have the option to reinstall the original OSX that your MBP came with, Lion.

You will need a solid Internet connection.

If no success, make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a FREE evaluation.

Ciao.

Mar 26, 2015 7:20 PM in response to hunterw96

UPDATE:

I somehow managed to get to the disk utilities and erase the disk and fix it. nothing was wrong.

I used these commands in single user mode: Sudo rm -rf/

I think I typed a bunch of random stuff before and after this command^

The command somehow forced it into recovery HD and remove or erase Macintosh HD.

I still think the hard drive is bad though. It gave me a blue screen when I tried to reinstall Yosemite.

This has to be a hardware issue right?

Its downloading Yosemite right now. Might crash again

Mar 26, 2015 8:00 PM in response to hunterw96

"the screen just goes blue or the screen is grey on start up. Occasionally it will go in a loop of restarts"

OK that sure sounds like this:

Apple Recall:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Especially:

• "Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
  • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
  • Computer restarts unexpectedly"

My macbook pro 2011 has a grey screen on start up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.