Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro footage and Canon 5D import

I am able to drag footage from Canon 5 D Mark 111 media card directly into Final Cut 7. Previously I remember compressing footage, why does one compress footage, the total media is 8 GB.

Thanks

Catherine

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Dual 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 12:45 PM

7 replies

Mar 26, 2015 1:41 PM in response to DBLewis

FCP doesn't work well with the native files that camera shoots. Unfortunately is APPEARS like it will, but it won't. Yeah, it'll import fine, and you might begin editing fine, but things will pop up, like a sluggish system, loss of sync while editing, loss of sync when trying to export.

Do not cut the native H.264 MOV files the camera shoots with. FCP demands FCP editing codecs, and the one you want is ProRes 422. You'll need to use COMPRESSOR for this, as Log and Transfer doesn't support the 5D Mark III. Now, the bad news is that that 8GB of footage will become about 32-40GB...because the format you are converting to has a higher data rate. This is unavoidable, if you plan on using FCP 7. Premiere Pro will cut this format natively...and FCX can, but FCX does still want to "optimize" the media, and by that it means convert to ProREs.

Gotta convert to ProRes 422 before you import the footage.

Mar 26, 2015 4:59 PM in response to Shane Ross

yes I see,…...have now compressed to Pro Res but now footage has a glitch when subject moves..not good for dance footage? CHRIST always this learning curve with new camera.

Canon 5D doesn't have 60fps facility??? which I would normally use for dance footage.

Any ideas….describe glitch…..image stoops fro a millisecond, sort of hicccups.

The original files of camera and also compressed files in media bin don't have the glitch , something in FCP settings???

Any ideas????

Cath

Mar 26, 2015 6:20 PM in response to Shane Ross

The canon only does 30fps which I find odd in such a high end camera. I used compressor pro res 422.

Glitch only present in FCP, not in Davinci or QT. I just loaded FCP 7 from 6…yes I know, a bit late, don't like X, anyway, something tells me some preference in FC is wrong, but I have Pr Res 422 29fps what could be the missing link, have used this seq. setting for ages. Also, I put some Go Pro which shoots 60 fps, fast enough for dance and that too has the glitch?

Mar 26, 2015 6:30 PM in response to DBLewis

That Canon should shoot 29.97. The first 5D cameras did not, they only did 30fps straight up. But firmware updates to that, and the 5D mark II coming out, added 29.97, due to high demand. The 5D Mark III must most definitely shoot 29.97fps. Look in the menus...you might have chosen 30fps and not 29.97. And it should NOT be 29fps...but 29.97fps.

So the glitch isn't on the source, but in FCP. OK, trash your FCP preferences and see if that fixes it.

Final Cut Pro footage and Canon 5D import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.