Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

opendirectoryd CPU 100% - With Active Directory Sites

Let me start off by saying I have read many of the posts regarding opendirectoryd and none of them resolve my issue. I don't have an "/Active Directroy/domain" entry in the search or contact setting. Just the required one of "/Active Directory/domain/All Domains". Also, I'm putting this under Mavericks but I have seen this on Mountain Lion and Yosemite.

We have several sites in AD. The one that we are seeing issues with ONLY contains a read only domain controller (RODC). I'm able to easily replicate the issue by changing my /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/DynamicData/Active Directory/Domain.plist file by changing the sitename entry to our affected AD site. As soon as I change the file and kill opendirectoryd, the CPU spikes to 100% and stays there. It also doesn't populate the "last used server" entry which has our short domain name, GC, or FQDN entry (which may be the root of the issue). I would expect killing opendirectoryd would set the sitename back to the current site that I'm in. We have also verified the subnet mappings are correct for each site. As soon as I remove the sitename entry and kill opendirectoryd, the process goes back to normal, the correct sitename is populated, and has entries for the "last used servers".

For our users, they are visiting the remote site and their domain.plist under DynamicData changes to the correct site name. When they come back to the main campus, the domain.plist under DynamicData is not updating to the proper AD site and causing opendirectyd to chew on the CPU.

Enabling debugging on the opendirectoryd.log file doesn't show much but does have an interesting entry: nodestate - '/Active Directory/DOMAIN/All Domains' is still offline. Prior to this error, the path was queried and then came back over and over that it was still offline.

Thoughts?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 128GB SSD

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 7:52 AM

I have seen this on may different systems (Pro, MBP, MBA, and mini) and so far on 10.8.5, 10.9.5, and 10.10.2.

1 reply

opendirectoryd CPU 100% - With Active Directory Sites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.