Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart quotes not working in Pages 5.5.2

I'm unable to get smart quotes in Pages.

I'm on a 2009 iMac, using Yosemite 10.10.1, Pages 5.5.2

I've followed the instructions on Apple's page (http://help.apple.com/pages/mac/5.0/#/tanad45f9cce) to make all quotes smart quotes in my document and it didn't work.

When I opened Substitutions in Pages the box for smart quotes was ticked, unticking and reticking and doing 'replace all' made no difference.

Prior to this I'd just changed the font style setting for the document from Courier New to Times New Roman.

I've also checked in System Prefs/Keyboard/Text where 'Use smart quotes' is ticked.

I'm formatting a book, this is holding up production of my book as all quotes are non-curly, straight quotes and need to be changed to smart quotes.

I'm wondering whether I shouldn't go back to the previous version of Pages where everything seemed to work, including auto capitalisation.

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 3:44 PM

Additionally re my first post above I've tested for smart quotes in MS Word 2008 and Mail 8.1 and they both support smart quotes. Word also converts between quote types.

I've had to create a workaround to get my Pages document showing smart quotes:

I tested smart quote support in Word by pasting a page from the Pages document into Word and then converting the straight quotes to curly quotes. which worked. I then copied that text and pasted it back into a new blank page in Pages, the smart quotes stayed curly. So, I'm about to copy and paste my whole book, 55,000+ words, into Word and convert quotes and then paste it back into Pages.

It seems like the smart quotes issue is Pages 5.5.2 specific and has been for quite some while.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2015 3:44 PM in response to drowningindata

Additionally re my first post above I've tested for smart quotes in MS Word 2008 and Mail 8.1 and they both support smart quotes. Word also converts between quote types.

I've had to create a workaround to get my Pages document showing smart quotes:

I tested smart quote support in Word by pasting a page from the Pages document into Word and then converting the straight quotes to curly quotes. which worked. I then copied that text and pasted it back into a new blank page in Pages, the smart quotes stayed curly. So, I'm about to copy and paste my whole book, 55,000+ words, into Word and convert quotes and then paste it back into Pages.

It seems like the smart quotes issue is Pages 5.5.2 specific and has been for quite some while.

Smart quotes not working in Pages 5.5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.