Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

232GB Unaccountable Disk Space

I have a 750 GB SSD. With apps like OmniDiskSweeper and GrandPerspective it is reporting to me that I am using about 388 GB of disk space. This is confirmed by what I see in Finder, browsing around all users starting from the HD root. That leaves 362 GB, which should be free. But my free disk space is 130 GB, so there is about 232 GB of unaccounted disk space. It's hard for me to believe that this would all be operating system files, and normal. What could this be? I've been looking around for something to explain this for about six months now, and I can't figure it out.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 2:34 PM

2 replies

Mar 26, 2015 7:09 PM in response to nop73

You may notice a difference in available space statistics between Disk Utility, Finder, and Get Info inspectors. This is expected and can be safely ignored. The Finder displays the available space on the disk without accounting for the local snapshots, because local snapshots will surrender their disk space if needed.

About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

232GB Unaccountable Disk Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.