Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safety and Security of Safari

Hi folks. This is just an inquiry about the supposed safety of Safari browser. I sometimes see comments on these forums and others, by very enlightened posters disparage the poor security of Safari. Now lord knows I'm certainly not knowledgable enough to differ with that opinion as I have a great respect for these experienced highly rated forum members . But I am curious what failings are present? One thing I've noticed while using Safari and alternatively Firefox and Chromium with Little Snitch operating. Now wait, I know the usual rant and caution about using Little Snitch. Let's just say I'm willing to put up with it 's annoying interruptions. Now my experience is, There are far far less of Little Snitch's alerts when some cookies or programs wants to phone home when using Safari, compared to 12-15 attempts to call home that the other top rated browsers (not chrome) will generate on the exact same sites I use daily. All the browsers are running AdBlock Plus and Ghostery or similar extensions that are known to be effective. But none of the extentions block the sites Firefox loads from making ridiculous number of connections that are not relevant and down right intursive. Even without these extensions running Safari generate far less connection attempts. I can only conclude Safari somehow those not allow the sites to load the part of the page that intiates these troublesome calls home. If true wouldn't that be a big plus in favor of Safari? Am I off base here? I have observed this on a number of my Macs running different OS's from 10.6 10.7 10.8 and 10.9 all properly updated. Please If you have information I am missing, take a moment to explain what's happening.

Thanks for your consideration.

Paul

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 9:52 PM

"Security" means different things to different people. Like all Apple products Safari is specifically designed to keep your private information private, and as such Apple made a conscious decision to omit certain industry-standard features such as the ability to remotely access your Mac's file system, webcam (FaceTime camera) or microphone. Firefox is more of an open-source community project and as such, offers far more user-customization options than Safari ever will. Take that for what it's worth, but it is probably the reason for the Little Snitch activity you're seeing. Without knowing what page elements are initiating what remote requests and comparing those requests to Safari, a precise answer is not possible.

AdBlock Plus will permit advertisements from content providers that pay for the privilege. They're working for them, not for you. If you want to block intrusive advertisements, use AdBlock instead. Those two products are not related to one another.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2015 9:52 PM in response to One Wonders

"Security" means different things to different people. Like all Apple products Safari is specifically designed to keep your private information private, and as such Apple made a conscious decision to omit certain industry-standard features such as the ability to remotely access your Mac's file system, webcam (FaceTime camera) or microphone. Firefox is more of an open-source community project and as such, offers far more user-customization options than Safari ever will. Take that for what it's worth, but it is probably the reason for the Little Snitch activity you're seeing. Without knowing what page elements are initiating what remote requests and comparing those requests to Safari, a precise answer is not possible.

AdBlock Plus will permit advertisements from content providers that pay for the privilege. They're working for them, not for you. If you want to block intrusive advertisements, use AdBlock instead. Those two products are not related to one another.

Safety and Security of Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.