Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not signing in anymore - MacBook OS 10.9.5

A couple weeks ago, iMessage suddenly stopped syncing on my Mac. I noticed I could see previous conversations, but it looked as if I was "offline." I went into preferences and noticed that my Apple ID account wasn't logged in, so I typed in my password, and it just sat there with a spinning wheel doing nothing. I finally force quit the program, and upon opening it again, now I can't get past the main login screen. I type in my Apple ID and password, then a pop up box asks for my iMessage password, and upon typing it in and hitting Sign In, it just sits there on the main login screen yet again greyed out with the spinning wheel. It will sit there like this for hours if I let it, until I finally just force quit.

I've tried googling for similar issues but I'm not finding any good results. Anyone have any ideas?

To clarify, now that I can't get past the main login screen, I can't even access Preferences anymore. It's greyed out. Also my password is correct, I used it to create this post. I am not receiving any error messages whatsoever, just the spinning wheel that never tires.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 1:48 PM

17 replies

Mar 27, 2015 1:10 PM in response to ckpckpckp

Hi,

Can you use the Apple Icon Menu top left and open the About this Mac item.

In here click twice on the line that shows your the current OS.

It will change to the Build Number then the Serial Number.

Is the Serial Number present ?

If it is then go to Applications/Utilities and open the Keychain Access app.

In here have Login selected top left.

Have Passwords selected lower left and then find the item that reads "IDS: YourAppleID.com-Auth Token" in the right hand pane and delete it.

Restart Messages.

If that does not work Open the Font Book

Scroll to near the Bottom and find AppleGothic (all one word)

Check this is Enabled, Validates (File Menu) and is not duplicated.

Repeat for Helvetica Neue and Lucida Grande that the app also uses.

If that does not work can you use or create an Mac User Account that is different from your regular Mac User login and set up the Messages app > iMessages account with the same details and test it in that Mac User account.

If the Guest option is enabled in System Preferences > User and Groups you can test in that login.

User uploaded file

8:10 pm Friday; March 27, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Mar 27, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I checked and the serial number is present. I also checked keychain and there was no "IDS: YourAppleID.com-Auth Token". Instead there was only

ids: message-protection-key

ids: identity-rsa-private-key application - password

ids: identity-rsa-public-key application - password

I tried deleting first the message protection key, with no success then when I tested iMessage. I then deleted the other two, and still no success.

I checked the three fonts you suggested and all are fine.

Per the recommendation here (Cannot log into iMessage in 10.8 Messages.app) I tested signing in as a guest user, and upon testing iMessage in guest, it worked just fine. So it definitely looks like the issue is linked to my mac user profile.

Instead of just continuing to delete things with reckless abandon, I thought I would come back now and see what you think. I have the following options still available in keys:

<key> public key

<key> public key

<key> private key

<key> private key

Apple ID (user) key public key

Apple ID (user) key private key

iMessage Encryption Key private key

iMessage Encryption Key private key

iMessage Signing Key private key

iMessage Signing Key private key

Should I delete the iMessage keys and restart?

Mar 27, 2015 2:11 PM in response to ckpckpckp

Hi,

If your Keychain Access app shows you a Local items item check in there for the IDS: **** -Auth Token.

If not then delete the Three IDS you found.

It is going to be about th items stored in your Mac User account.

That is not to say it might be difficult to find which item in particular.

User uploaded file

9:11 pm Friday; March 27, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 27, 2015 2:20 PM in response to ckpckpckp

Hi,

At this stage they should not be linked to anything as the IDS item have been removed.

It may pay to tidy up and remove them.

Next open the ~/Library/Preference Folder

(In Any Finder window use the Go menu whilst holding down the ALT key and selecting the Library that appears then navigate to the folder you want)

Find this file com.apple.ids.service.com.apple.madrid.plist

Drag it to the Trash and Restart Messages.

You will need to Re-add your Apple ID to the iMessages account settings.

You should then get the Pop ups about what your iPhone is using. You should Accept these.

User uploaded file

9:20 pm Friday; March 27, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 30, 2015 11:49 AM in response to ckpckpckp

HI,

I did not say Library/Preferences.

I said ~/Library/Preferences (or Hard Drive name/Users/YourShortName/Library/Preferences in full).

They are two different places.

User uploaded file

7:49 pm Monday; March 30, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 30, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Apologies, I wasn't aware of the meaning of ~ in that context.

There is no Library file in Macintosh HD/Users/(me)/.

There is a Library file in Macintosh HD/. It is on the same level as Users. Macintosh HD/Library. And within that file there is a preferences folder but no com.apple.ids.service.com.apple.madrid.plist.

See screen shots for verification.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file (small selection of the com.apple files but it's sorted alphabetically and you can see no .ids)

Mar 30, 2015 12:05 PM in response to ckpckpckp

HI,

This Finder in the Home folder is hidden and has been since Lion.

In any Finder window hold down the ALT key and then use the Go Menu and select th Library that now appears.

User uploaded file

8:05 pm Monday; March 30, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 30, 2015 12:14 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks for your patience.

I located the library folder and found the specific ids madrid file and deleted it. I then started Messages (it was not running prior to this) and still no luck. It still just sits at the login screen with the spinning wheel and I can't add the account as it's greyed out, so no change in behavior since this issue began.

User uploaded file

Mar 30, 2015 12:20 PM in response to ckpckpckp

HI,

If you have deleted the Keychain items for IDS and removes the mardid .plist then you will need to contacts Apple Support.

It is most likely an Apple ID issue with the iMessages server and your Mac.

After you get through to Apple Support you might have to ask to speak to a Level 2 person.

The Level 1 people can be a bit script led and try to identify it as an Software or Hardware issue (you need Apple Care or to pay)

Level 2 people are more likely to have heard of th issue and look at the iMessages server and check it is registering your Mac properly.

User uploaded file

8:20 pm Monday; March 30, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 30, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ok one more interesting test. I tried typing in the completely wrong password, and it kicked it back right away acknowledging that it was the wrong password. When it did so, it asked if I wanted to sign in now or later, I clicked later and it finally did actually let me in past the login screen to the actual Messages app and I could go into Accounts. I yet again tried to type in my password into the iMessage account, and it thought for a while and then finally gave me an error: "Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again."

Which of course my network is connected and it does work on a guest user profile so I'm not sure if this helps provide any additional insight.

iMessage not signing in anymore - MacBook OS 10.9.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.