Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CLONING IS A JOKE SO ?

I tried to make a bootable clone of an old powerbook on a APM partition where there was already some backup data but when i click clone, a message appear saying this clone will not be bootable because it is not at the root of the disk ?.????????????????????????????

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 3:21 PM

10 replies

Mar 26, 2015 3:27 PM in response to skanner21

On what Mac model are you doing this? Did you try partitioning a GUID drive and change the partition scheme to APM? This cannot be done. You cannot have both on the same drive. You also cannot boot an old Powerbook system on a new Mac model.

Do not post using all UC. That is considered shouting and it is impolite.

Mar 26, 2015 10:36 PM in response to skanner21

What "clone" software are you using?

From what you describe, the "clone" won't be bootable because you are attempting to create it on something other than the boot partition, but without further information an answer is not possible.

FYI introducing your subject as "a joke" is a lamentable way to elicit interest, and it is completely unrelated to Mavericks. A site Host can relocate it to a more appropriate area, such as Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger or PowerBook. Suggest one.

Mar 27, 2015 5:52 AM in response to skanner21

Yes, exactly. For the "clone" to be bootable, the boot blocks must be written to the destination's root directory.

There can be only one root for any given volume. If you designate any other location, you could restore the PowerBook from that backup, but the backup itself will not be bootable. To restore the entire PowerBook boot volume would require booting from another device, one separate from the other two. Boot device options include the built-in CD/DVD drive, Startup Manager (FireWire only, with PowerBooks - not USB) or netboot. Target Disk Mode is another option in which the PowerBook's built-in hard disk will appear as just another mounted device. For that you would need a second Mac with a FireWire port.

Mar 27, 2015 7:04 AM in response to John Galt

Ok you very kind. i will push the solved button after this last answer please.

I want another info:

Im trying to make a bootable clone of my macbook pro on maverick with CCC.

In CCC preferences i checked the box "create an archive of HD Recovery Volume.

Question, does it mean that CCC will automatically copy the HD Recovery and that everythings super fine, or does it mean it only creates a partition for it but with nothing inside ?..... Whats your advice for this please ?

Mar 27, 2015 9:05 AM in response to skanner21

In CCC preferences i checked the box "create an archive of HD Recovery Volume.

Question, does it mean that CCC will automatically copy the HD Recovery and that everythings super fine

Yes. If you select that option Carbon Copy Cloner will create the Recovery partition which is required for a Lion or later system to useOS X Recovery should that become necessary.

CLONING IS A JOKE SO ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.