Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13 with retina 128GB + 16GB vs 250GB + 8GB

Hi first time post here so bare with me.

I am starting a new course in IT. Web Design advanced IT and software is the main topics of the course and will run 2 years and I'd like the laptop to perform and last that long. I will be buying the new iteration of the MacBook Pro 13 with a retina display.

So my questions is this if anyone can help me, with new software and updates coming out all the time what would be best. Either the configuration of 128GB + 16GB with an added 128GB SDXC card to bring the total storage to 256GB which works out cheaper or the 256GB +8GB. My budget can't really go any higher than the cost of these.

Is 16GB overkill even for future proof or is 8GB and the 256GB more than enough and the better combination.

Thanks and all replies appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 4:39 PM

7 replies

Mar 27, 2015 2:39 AM in response to chaoticfool

Hi thanks for your help I have since been told this after I've posted it my only concern is would 128GB be enough for all the programs I would want installed? Obviously all files would be kept on the SDXC card if I went the 128GB direction.

And really you can upgrade the SSD? If that is true then I would definitely go the 128GB + 16GB route.

Mar 27, 2015 3:42 AM in response to chaoticfool

Ok well it seems like they would eventually come out if the older ones have had them. So for my budget it would possibly be best to go for the 128GB + 16GB as RAM isn't upgradable at all and just use an SDXC card and externals for additional storage until if and when 3rd party PCIe storage comes out. As the only thing that will be stored on the primary drive will be installed programs everything else would go on the SDXC card.

MacBook Pro 13 with retina 128GB + 16GB vs 250GB + 8GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.