Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Number keys on my keyboard not working

I have a Macbook Pro thirteen inch notebook. I just tried to type numbers with my keyboard and only the zero key is working. I did a google search and came across an article on apple support forums that had me test my keyboard using the keyboard viewer and they definitely aren't working. What should I do and what could have caused it. I just got the computer via a black friday sale last november. Very concerned, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 6:06 PM

So this would have been from a tiny bit of moisture entering the keyboard membrane. Here's the trace from a MBP 2011 13":

User uploaded file

So you can clearly see that all the number keys to the left (The dots are the number contacts.) are operated by one trace 6 -7 - 8 - 9 and see where the trace runs down to the right to that multiple grill looking thing. Any tiny bit of moisture finding it's way to that trace will make all the numbers 1 - 9 stop working. The 0 will be unaffected since it comes a separate way.

Repair will involve replacing the top case (Apple SOP.) That will be hundreds. You can buy just the keyboard but the installation is a bear.

" I just got the computer via a black friday sale last november."

Where was this?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2015 6:06 PM in response to KhingKOBRA

So this would have been from a tiny bit of moisture entering the keyboard membrane. Here's the trace from a MBP 2011 13":

User uploaded file

So you can clearly see that all the number keys to the left (The dots are the number contacts.) are operated by one trace 6 -7 - 8 - 9 and see where the trace runs down to the right to that multiple grill looking thing. Any tiny bit of moisture finding it's way to that trace will make all the numbers 1 - 9 stop working. The 0 will be unaffected since it comes a separate way.

Repair will involve replacing the top case (Apple SOP.) That will be hundreds. You can buy just the keyboard but the installation is a bear.

" I just got the computer via a black friday sale last november."

Where was this?

Number keys on my keyboard not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.