Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot copy files from Time Machine

Hi,

I wanted to trash all my Time Machine Files yesterday but when I tried to empty the trash, my Mac started to count all the files on the trash for so long that I decided to undo that. So, I opened the trash and decided to move back again all my Time Machine back up files into the original disk where they where. My Mac started to count all the files and it did not stopped since then? What can I do to resolve this issue, since my Mac has been counting files since very late last night and it's been doing this ever since: it's been counting for at least one day?

Can I stop the process and do something else, I would not like to damage my disk or something else. I know I should have taken a «reformat» option instead but right now I do not know if I can stop this process or should I let it run for I do not know how long???

Please help!

Thanks

Robert

<Email Edited by Host>

MacPro, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 6:40 PM

4 replies

Mar 27, 2015 10:37 AM in response to rmarchan

After so many hours of waiting on my Mac to finish calculating so many millions files, I've received an error message that there where not sufficient space on the disk to copy all those files. Now what can I do, it will take how many hours just to empty the trash. Is there anything or software that I can use that I will do the job quickly. What is the procedure?

Thank you for answering,

Robert M.

<Email Edited By Host>

Mar 30, 2015 1:48 PM in response to lllaass

Hi,

After consideration of all this precious time spent, I've decided finally to call at Apple support even if my Apple Care coverage had expired for so many years. The 35$ fee for a month services was largely worth the call and the service I received... So, with the help of a well trained expert, I got the job done very fast et efficiently! Mind you, I had to insist to be in the hand of a good expert before doing anything, this was a "must" in my case...

After explaining my problem to this expert I realized that I was in good hands: he knew what was the problem and he really made my call worth all the money. I agreed to share my screen with him and we started with Terminal.

First:

I emptied the trash by typing the proper command in Terminal. I tried it before but it wasn't working since all my backup files from Time Machine where not on my local disk, they where on another internal disk. With his help, I identified the proper disk and when Terminal executed the command, it was done in no time. Sweet, no more counting! But my files where still on the trash, no one could tell how long this would take to trash everything. I had a zillion files in my Backup from Time Machine!

Second:

So, I asked my expert: "since we don't know how long will this process will take, will reformatting the disk, be better and will this save time? Is it possible since all my files on this disk are in the trash? He said: "Yes it will work even if your files are in the trash". Ok, let's do it! So, I've stopped the process after a few minutes and started Disk Utility. I then identified the volume and hit the "erase" button.

Voilà, the job was done perfectly after 2 minutes, my disk was clean.

Conclusion:

Is it both actions that did the job, I cannot say. But in my case, it worked perfectly. I know, I should have reformat my disk first, it would have save me so much time.

May my mistake serve other users in the futur! If anyone would like the command codes I used in Terminal, feel free to ask.

Live long and prosper Mr. Technician!

Robert M.

<Personal Information Edited By Host>

Cannot copy files from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.