Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new airport express has error, now network can't connect to internet to

Purchased new airport express to use solely for airplay, ran airport utility and there was an error. Now airport express is not recognized and wireless network (Fios router) has no internet connection.

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 6:52 PM

14 replies

Mar 26, 2015 7:25 PM in response to js4design

Suggest that you power off the AirPort Express for now and concentrate on getting the network back up.

Power off the Fios router and every other device on the network. Power down order is not important

Wait a minute

Power up the Fios modem/router and let it run a few minutes

Power up the next device connected to the Fios and let it run a minute

Keep powering up devices one at a time about a minute apart until the entire network is back up

Check the network and report on your results

Once the network is back up, we can start over on the AirPort Express

Would help us if you knew what version of AirPort Utility that you were using....whether Mac or iOS. If Mac, what operating system is the Mac running?

Express can connect using either a wired Ethernet connection or wireless. How will the Express connect to your network?

Mar 26, 2015 7:42 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I was able to get my computer back on the network. After digging in I realized that the network was not down, it was just showing that way on one device. Now to try configuring airport express again. I know that I had a tough time getting it to work on an older airport express on numerous occasions when I was adding it to new networks at new apartments, but I went through it so infrequently that I don't remember how I ultimately got it to work.

I currently have Airport Utility 6.3.2 on a mac running 10.9.3, and I will be connecting wirelessly.

Mar 26, 2015 8:40 PM in response to js4design

It's optional, but in my opinion, it would still be a good idea to perform the complete network power cycle that I outlined above. This will give the network a "fresh start" and minimize the chances of an error occurring during the setup of the Express.

Perform a Factory Default Reset as suggested by Tesserax above.

Temporarily, locate the Express in the same room or close proximity to the Actiontec modem/router and power it on for a few minutes. Do not connect an Ethernet cable to the Express, as it will be configured using wireless.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click on AirPort Express just below that listing

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" running to take a minute to analyze the network and likely suggest that the Express be setup to extend the Actiontec network.

Technically, it cannot do this, but it should be able to join the Actiontec network for use with AirPlay if the security settings on the Actionec are compatible with the Express.

Enter a name that you want to call the Express and then click the Other Options button.

Select the Add to an existing network option, if not already selected, and click Next

Follow the prompts, making sure that the name of the network and password are entered correctly.

If the setup is successful, you will see a message of Setup Complete and the Express will display a green light. Click Done and move the Express to the desired location and power it back up again. The Express needs to be located where it can receive a good quality signal from the modem/router wireless.

Mar 27, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have gone through the setup wizard 4 times now and every time there seems the network connection has an error, but only on my machine. The fix has come from forgetting the network, then reconnecting and reentering the password. the setup wizard seems to hang up during the process and finally seems to time out, but only says that an unexpected error has occurred.

Mar 27, 2015 4:11 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have reset the Airport Express each time. Ok, starting over, I have reset the AE and began running the Airport Utility, configured to have the AE join my network. Fairly quickly, my network goes from displaying correctly in the top ribbon to showing as grayed out with an exclamation point over it as the AU still grinds along. AU finally seems to hang up while waiting for the AE to respond, and eventually I receive the message “An unexpected error occurred. Try again.” At this point the, under network diagnostic Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi settings are showing green, Network Settings is yellow or red, and ISP, Internet, and Server are all red. I am able to fix this by choosing the Wi-Fi to configure, then choosing “Deny” when Network Diagnostics wants to access key “router name” in your keychain. This prompts me to re-enter the password and that reconnects me to the internet.

Mar 27, 2015 5:07 PM in response to js4design

I have reset the AE and began running the Airport Utility, configured to have the AE join my network.

OK, got that, thanks.

Fairly quickly, my network goes from displaying correctly in the top ribbon to showing as grayed out with an exclamation point over it as the AU still grinds along

So, this means that you got a green light on the Express with the message of Setup Complete, correct?

After that, did you close AirPort Utility?

Once AirPort Utility is closed, did you log back on to your normal wireless network again?

Mar 27, 2015 5:21 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

So, this means that you got a green light on the Express with the message of Setup Complete, correct?

After that, did you close AirPort Utility?

Once AirPort Utility is closed, did you log back on to your normal wireless network again?

No, I never got the green light. The problem in the network connection occurs while the Airport Utility is still running, and the AU never got the green light to show.

Mar 27, 2015 5:32 PM in response to js4design

OK, thanks for the clarification on that.

We are having another similar issue with another user who also has a Fios router. The Express joined his prior network provided by Comcast just fine, but he has not been able to get the Express working with Fios. Manufacturers sometimes put their own "tweaks" into their routers, and the Express does not like that.

Do you know how to get into the settings of the FIos router to take a look at some things?

Mar 27, 2015 5:55 PM in response to js4design

Unfortunately, I do not have a Fios router here to test.

Take a look at the thread below with another user who is trying to configure an AirPort Express to join a Fios network, and if what I suggest there makes sense to you, then you will need to call Fios support to ask them for some help on how to adjust some security settings on the FIos router.

Things like this are not easy, as none of us here are Fios experts.

Can't connect a printer to Airport Express via Ethernet

new airport express has error, now network can't connect to internet to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.