Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remote access iMac from ipad

Microsoft has RDC that allows online remote access to my PC at work from home. There are even iPad apps that do the same thing. is there so,liar apps to go the other way? Access my iMac desktop remotely from my PC? Or from my iPad?

Flat screen, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 6:12 AM

I realize this is an old thread, but I was looking for a solution and saw this post. The info here is not accurate. Also, if the OP is versed well enough to know how to use Microsoft Remote Desktop on multiple computers, I'm sure he/she is also capable of doing so with Apple Remote Desktop.

It is absolutely possible to use ARD over the Internet. It is also possible to do so with as many Apple computers on one network as you wish - whether it is over the Internet or from within your local network. All you would have to do is translate or map the port number you wish to connect to in your router. For instance, if you have 3 iMac computers at home and you want to connect to them while you are away from home and assuming you use port 5900 for ARD, do something like this:

(Substitute these IP addresses for the IP addresses that match your own equipment)

iMac 1: IP Address 192.168.1.2

iMac 2: IP Address 192.168.1.3

iMac 3: IP Address 192.168.1.4

Forward port 5901 to IP 192.168.1.2 and port 5900

Forward port 5902 to IP 192.168.1.3 and port 5900

Forward port 5903 to IP 192.168.1.4 and port 5900

Then in ARD, when you enter your IP address, follow it with a colon (:) followed by the port number matching the iMAC you want to connect to. For example, if your public IP address at home is 1.2.3.4 and you want to connect to iMac 2, you would use this for your IP address in ARD: 1.2.3.4:5902

Any modern router with port forwarding should be capable of doing this.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2017 6:12 AM in response to Phil0124

I realize this is an old thread, but I was looking for a solution and saw this post. The info here is not accurate. Also, if the OP is versed well enough to know how to use Microsoft Remote Desktop on multiple computers, I'm sure he/she is also capable of doing so with Apple Remote Desktop.

It is absolutely possible to use ARD over the Internet. It is also possible to do so with as many Apple computers on one network as you wish - whether it is over the Internet or from within your local network. All you would have to do is translate or map the port number you wish to connect to in your router. For instance, if you have 3 iMac computers at home and you want to connect to them while you are away from home and assuming you use port 5900 for ARD, do something like this:

(Substitute these IP addresses for the IP addresses that match your own equipment)

iMac 1: IP Address 192.168.1.2

iMac 2: IP Address 192.168.1.3

iMac 3: IP Address 192.168.1.4

Forward port 5901 to IP 192.168.1.2 and port 5900

Forward port 5902 to IP 192.168.1.3 and port 5900

Forward port 5903 to IP 192.168.1.4 and port 5900

Then in ARD, when you enter your IP address, follow it with a colon (:) followed by the port number matching the iMAC you want to connect to. For example, if your public IP address at home is 1.2.3.4 and you want to connect to iMac 2, you would use this for your IP address in ARD: 1.2.3.4:5902

Any modern router with port forwarding should be capable of doing this.

Mar 30, 2015 3:43 PM in response to Brian Nesse

Brian Nesse wrote:

This is incorrect. I use ARD to log into work, and home, machines over the internet all the time.

Phil0124 wrote:

Apple Remote Desktop however only works within the same Network, and not over the internet.

It is less than accurate yes. However for ARD to work over the internet several settings need to be applied on the remote router so ARD requests are forwarded to the correct machine, which may or may not be possible. As well as knowing the public IP addresses of the remote network.

It would also be limited to 1 computer in the remote network, as you can only port forward to a single computer.

Its quite more involved than simply installing Teamviewer, and logging in, or remembering a number and password. No extra route settings required.

How to remote access iMac from ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.