Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Mail app always open at the same email on iPad?

Specs:

- iPad 2

- iOS 8.2

Each time I open my Mail app on my iPad it shows me an email message from a year ago. This makes me scroll for minutes before I can see the latest message. Why is it always stuck at this email message?

One way I can avoid the problem (but not get rid of it) is to flag a recent message in my Mail on my Macbook Pro and when it syncs (IMAP) the flag is synced as well. So then I can tap on that last flagged message and there I go, I'm closer at the top of my list.

Is anyone experiencing this as well?

And does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Ta!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 8:17 PM

55 replies

Jan 25, 2018 11:06 PM in response to chase_daniel

speak your mind to Apple using their feedback site.. they won’t reply.. but weighing in with your opinion on a matter might help influence a fix..

Product Feedback - Apple

Product Feedback - Apple

this issue is still a nuisance.. my ipad is again stuck on another email.. sure i can delete the email but that’s not the point.. Apple should fix this bug!

May 15, 2017 12:50 PM in response to G-Whizz

Okay, this might be a temporary fix, time will tell. Go into General -> Mail and change the number of Preview lines, I also turned off all the Threading sliders.

Then go back to Mail and quit the app. Open Mail and see where it takes you.

This seemed to work for me, I was at 3 lines, changed it to 1 line, opened Mail noticed my messages were organized by the latest one. Fingers crossed.:)

Jun 2, 2017 3:37 AM in response to G-Whizz

Yes, I've tried several suggestions including yours. None worked for me. And MS Outlook blows because you can't setup POP, it's all IMAP bullcrap. Actually, I shouldn't say that, but I have tons of folders so IMAP won't work for me. Nevertheless, you'd think some genius at Apple would've received this complaint and fixed it by now since this issue goes WAY back to the stone ages.

Oct 22, 2017 8:49 PM in response to depiras

HEY APPLE SUPPORT: Why have you not ‘fixed’ this issue for two+ years running? This thread has been going with users still reporting this problem today since 2015!!!

..and i’m Sorry but i’m a retired IT Sr. Service Delivery Manager and I assure you that telling your user base to wipe/reset their device for this type and systemic issue is NOT an acceptable answer after nearly 1000 users have reported it over two years with numero iOS updates and hardware version updates, suggestions that is simply lazy and unprofessional

I have this problem (as of last month) on my iPad Pro and another member of my household has had this problem repeatedly on his iPad Air for over a year.

it is Apples App, Apples iOS and Apples hardware.

its long overdue Apple fix this ridiculous and seriously annoying bug.

Oct 23, 2017 4:45 AM in response to Monigaffe

Glad it’s Working for some users, but I have multiple email accounts and I have deleted all of them and put them back on and it does not fix the problem. I have also wiped my device and that doesn’t work either. There is something wrong with the Mail app and iPads. This issue doesn’t exist on the iPhone. This is one of those obnoxious lingering issues that Apple takes forever to fix. The last annoying issue like this was my iPad resetting randomly when ios 10 came out. It took until 10.3 for them to fix it, I even joined the Beta to report the issue. I may go back to using a Beta to report this issue, it’s Ridiculous.

Oct 28, 2017 11:34 AM in response to Yamil

So I opened a case with Apple support and spent nearly an hour on the phone.

Unfortunately because of the sensitivity of the thread which the issue is occurring with me I cannot discus not allow access to the message or headers.

It would help immensely if someone currently experiencing the issue who can would be able to take the time to open a case, referring to this years old thread and be able to get data to the developers.

Nov 13, 2017 1:43 PM in response to BassPlaya

I have the same problem.

Hint for the technicans:

I saw that the problem doesn‘t show up directly when switching e.g. from mail to browser and then back to mail. But when you select a newer mail in incoming, switch to safari, do some webbrowsing etc. and come back to mail 10 min later, it always jumps back to the old mail.

So from a ios programmer view, I think it‘s a problem with storing/restoring the saved state from sqlite UserDefaults store.

please fix it. it‘s anoying.

Dec 12, 2017 8:39 PM in response to Xchange04

I have experienced this problem for several years now and have hoped that each new ios would resolve the problem. Web searches have not provided any solution either. Instead of scrolling why isn’t there a button or up arrow to take you to the top of the inbox? This would also be useful for when I search for and read an old email and then want to return to the top. I will try deleting the old email (it’s from 2015 and there are about 1000 emails on top of it) and limiting the lines to 1. Threading has been turned off as well. Thanks for your suggestions.

Dec 12, 2017 9:05 PM in response to GlenDLF

Don’t want to delete the emails, and shouldn’t have to. And my threading has been turned off. Still does it. And it seems to stick on one email for a while, then go to a new email to stick to. If you touch teh top of the email thread it should go to the top of the emails, but that does not work very well. End up scrolling.

Why does Mail app always open at the same email on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.