Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2011 Repair Extension Program for Video Issues -Feedback?

Anybody have any feedback from the MacBook Pro 2011 Repair Extension Program for Video Issues?

I had my early 2011 15 inch 8,2 repaired (free) under the extension program. The machine now appears to run well - but much hotter than before. The case is significantly hotter - especially at the GPU corner and the fans are constantly on moderate to high (not full). Anybody else experiencing similar changes?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 7:43 PM

7 replies

Jun 30, 2016 5:09 PM in response to Poscar

In a related issue, I have a MBP 8,2 that was purchased as a refurb (June '11), and now appears to be exhibiting the symptoms of the video problems related to the GPU (Radeon 6490). When I run the serial number in the web page for extended warranty, it says my computer is not eligible for any repair program. What I'm concerned about is whether the ORIGINAL serial number may have been eligible for the extended repair program, but since the refurb serial number wasn't included, I am left to wonder whether I am owed a GPU repair or not. Any suggestions? Do I need to take it to the local Apple Store and have them do some research on the serial number to see if it might be eligible for repair?

Jun 30, 2016 5:31 PM in response to rbygrave

rbygrave wrote:

When I run the serial number in the web page for extended warranty, it says my computer is not eligible for any repair program. What I'm concerned about is whether the ORIGINAL serial number may have been eligible for the extended repair program, but since the refurb serial number wasn't included, I am left to wonder whether I am owed a GPU repair or not.

A new or a refurbished Mac should maintain it's serial number. If you still have the original invoice (printed copy) of when you bought the refurbished unit should match the Mac's serial number. You can take it to the nearest Apple Store and let them verify.

Jun 30, 2016 5:36 PM in response to Poscar

Poscar wrote:

Anybody have any feedback from the MacBook Pro 2011 Repair Extension Program for Video Issues?

I had my early 2011 15 inch 8,2 repaired (free) under the extension program. The machine now appears to run well - but much hotter than before. The case is significantly hotter - especially at the GPU corner and the fans are constantly on moderate to high (not full). Anybody else experiencing similar changes?

I would certainly take it back in if you are not happy with the performance.

Typically repair work has a 90 warranty.

MacBook Pro 2011 Repair Extension Program for Video Issues -Feedback?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.