Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Freezes When Playing Locally

Hello,

I just purchased a used 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.3GHz which has been upgraded to 16GB of RAM and has a 1TB HD and 500GB SSD, functioning as a fusion drive, and is running the most recent OS (10.10.2) with updates. While playing a video on the Fusion drive (desktop), I am experiencing random freezing where the computer is not usable and the mouse becomes the spinning wheel. The freezes last about 20-30 seconds and then the video resumes once the freeze ends. When I play videos from my connected external HD (connected via Thunderbolt or USB) I get no freezing at all, which makes me rule out the video card or processor.

Is my fusion drive failing?

Was there possibly a cord that was damaged when the SSD installed?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I paid top dollar for the Mac Mini and was very excited to get it. I am not worried that I may have purchased a system that has problems.

Thank you in advance!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 9:25 PM

5 replies

Mar 27, 2015 1:58 AM in response to VeeegaaaS

Open Activity monitor and set it for CP and then memory. Have it showing when yo are playing the video. When it freezes look at the CPU and Memory usase and see if something is using up those.

Also not the exact time of a freeze and that when OK open the Console app in Finder>Applications>utilities and look for log entries at the time. Post suspicious one here.

Video Freezes When Playing Locally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.