Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"cannot see your location" - but it is MY location!

We use Family Sharing. I have the master account and my wife and three adult children each have their own AppleIDs and are registered in Family Sharing. Find My iPhone correctly locates everyone's iPhone and computer when they are on. On my wife's iPhone, in Settings>Privacy>Location Services>Share My Location, there is a list of each family member, and her own name is on the list with "cannot see your location" written underneath. On my iPhone in the same place, there is no such "cannot see your location" listed anywhere.

On my wife's iPhone, she CAN see her location in Google Maps, Apple Maps, and in Find My iPhone. On my iPhone using Find My iPhone, I can see my wife's location. So why does it say "cannot see your location" and why only for her and no one else?

We recently installed Canary, a home security device, and it arms itself when the family members leave the house. Within Canary, it thinks my wife's iPhone is not at home, even when it is, even when on my wife's iPhone, I can see her location in Apple Maps and it is correct. Somehow Canary may be choking on the "cannot see your location" issue.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

iPhone 5s, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), iphone 6 +

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 11:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 12:48 PM

I was having a problem where I could see our daughter in my "Find My Iphone" list but under her name it said "Cannot see my location." It was true that she couldn't see my location, only my name. It finally occurred to me to open the "Find My Friends" app. Once I did, I could see her name there. I also saw a button there that said "Keep my location private" or something similar. I turned that off and suddenly she is now able to see me in both apps. I must have turned that off at some point. Apple should definitely add that button to both locations because we both have been trying to figure this out for over an hour.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 12:48 PM in response to WSE1951

I was having a problem where I could see our daughter in my "Find My Iphone" list but under her name it said "Cannot see my location." It was true that she couldn't see my location, only my name. It finally occurred to me to open the "Find My Friends" app. Once I did, I could see her name there. I also saw a button there that said "Keep my location private" or something similar. I turned that off and suddenly she is now able to see me in both apps. I must have turned that off at some point. Apple should definitely add that button to both locations because we both have been trying to figure this out for over an hour.

"cannot see your location" - but it is MY location!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.