Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my airport extreme started to make noise, and devices are dropping connections. It's only a few months old, what could be wrong?

I got an airport extreme around Christmas, it's been working great, we love it. But in the last week, we noticed devices drop connections (iphone revert to LTE, my wifi thermostat can't make connection, nor my wireless printer. When I walk near the router, it's making a noise, where it was previously quiet. What could be wrong?

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 10:17 PM

1 reply

Mar 26, 2015 10:55 PM in response to gmadera

Is the airport showing overheat errors in the airport utility or is it hot when you touch it?

If you dig down into the airport utility on ipad (and it is only on ipad) you will find a bunch of diagnostic info..

User uploaded file

You will find a bunch of very interesting documents.

User uploaded file

I do not know how to interpret them yet.. but the thermal one for example should be fairly easy.. look and see what temperatures you have .. anything above about 60C is wrong.

The other part that can make noise is power supply.. they can make squeals and high pitched whines. The only way to fix is take it back to apple store for replacement.. they are not supposed to squeal.

my airport extreme started to make noise, and devices are dropping connections. It's only a few months old, what could be wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.