Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Not Switching to Landscape 'Automatically'

Former iPhone 5 user here who just upgraded to an iPhone 6.

With my iPhone 5 I used to be able to put it into my car holder and then open an app, such as Google Maps, and the iPhone 5 would detect that the phone was in a landscape orientation in the car holder and automatically switch the map from portrait to landscape. My behavior is always to put the phone into the holder first and then press the appropriate app button while I start the car.

With the iPhone 6, once the phone is in the holder and I start up Google Maps, it starts off in portrait. I have to actually take the phone out of the holder, hold it in portrait view for a moment, and then switch it to landscape in my hand, which then switches the map program to landscape as well. Then I put the phone back into the holder.

Likewise if I'm at work where I also have a phone stand on my desk and the iPhone sits in landscape mode, I have to now keep picking it back up to open an app so that I can--in my hand--have it sense that I'm switching it to landscape so that the app I'm opening will follow.

Why doesn't the iPhone 6 detect the mode it's in when you launch the app like the iPhone 6 did? Am I doing something wrong or is this a known change?

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 10:19 PM

4 replies

Mar 27, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Briansyddall

Indeed the option to lock to portrait mode is not on in the control panel. The behavior of switching from portrait to landscape works fine in my hand, it's when the phone is in a holder that it does not detect the orientation and adjust accordingly. The iPhone 5 did this with no problem, but on iPhone 6 any app that allows landscape mode starts out in portrait mode and then does not automatically adjust. Rather you have to move the phone back into portrait mode and it's that motion of being re-oriented into landscape mode that finally triggers the switch.

iPhone 6 Not Switching to Landscape 'Automatically'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.