Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keychain availability in windows

Will keychain be available in the windows icloud environment?

Windows PC-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 2:54 AM

6 replies

Nov 12, 2015 9:21 AM in response to Templeton Peck

apple is one of the biggest corporation in the world.

the fact that on my mac I use a suggested password that consists out of 11 charackters.

and I need a mac to actually retrieve that password for input on a windows machine.

that is just plain stupid, and not something from this tech age.

all the other companies are doin it IE, firefox, chrome,

I do see the concept of apple wanting it to be in its own eco system " you need an apple to see an apple "

But the fact is this personalized stuff, just like email and well we can setup a @me apple mail adres in windows as we please.

So why the delay..

I am sure that apple is aware that issues like this is driving customers away and they find a solution in google or something similar.

I like to be able to access the keychain in windows !!!

Nov 22, 2015 11:14 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

The "traditional" Windows equivalent would be the Protected Storage subsystem, used by IE Outlook Express, and it's a few other programs. I believe it's encrypted with your login password, which prevents some offline attacks, but once you're logged in, any program that wants to can read it.

Windows also provides the CryptoAPI and Data Protection API that might help. Again, though, I don't think that Windows does anything to prevent processes running under the same account from seeing each other's passwords.It looks like the book Mechanics of User Identification and Authentication provides more details on all of these.Eclipse implements something like this, if you're interested in seeing how other software does it.

keychain availability in windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.