Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make VPN work through Airport Express

test

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 4:03 AM

9 replies

Mar 27, 2015 4:07 AM in response to Skygge

Sorry for the "test" post, but wasn't "allowed" to post for days, so....

Short story:

I have an Imac plugged in the wall working on a university VPN network (PPTP). I use the Imac as a router to give Wifi to my Macbook Pro and my Iphone.

Now, that's a **** expensive router, so I'm selling it.

What I can't manage to do now and want to do is:

- Have and airport express A1392 in between, isn't it supposed to be possible? I set up the VPN on the Macbook but it doesn't want to connect.

- When this is solved, I also want to have a Linkstation 421 between the Airport and the mac.

Thanks. And yes, crawled the net for hours already...

Mar 27, 2015 7:54 AM in response to Skygge

Why weren't you "allowed"? If you got a red bar with "user Ashfahan is not allowed...." then it simply means that you were past the 30 minute time limit and were automatically logged out.

In any case, I can't help specifically, but searched for "airport express VPN" in Apple support and here are the search results - you may check for something useful there until someone else chimes in:

Apple - Support - Search

Mar 27, 2015 10:02 AM in response to babowa

Hi, thanks for your answer

The only way I could start a thread was to click "new" in an open thread. I couldn't start one via the ask a question menu.

I didn't find much help with the search function. Most of the time it concerns Airport Extreme users or people that want to program the Airport itself. People having questions similar to mine haven't go much help either, apparently.

If my previous post is not very clear, I want to connect to a VPN (PPTP) network from my macbook pro throught wifi with the airport plugged in the wall. And a Buffalo linkstation with that (cabled from the Airport i guess?)

Mar 27, 2015 10:08 AM in response to Skygge

As I understand you, the goal is to have an Airport Express be the first device in your "office space" to which the University network cabling connects - thus becoming a 'wireless hotspot' for your various devices. Then you want a

Linkstation 421(?e?) Diskless Enclosure - High Performance 2-Bay NAS Personal Cloud Storage and Media Server

in the mix as well

It would be my bet that between your University's Network Administrator*, relative ease of setup and use of the Airport and documentation available at http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/home-and-small-office/linkst ation-421e-diskless-enclosure you can get this done easiest

* Your Admin should make this happen quickly - probably give them a welcome diversion from the everyday tedium.

ÇÇÇ

Mar 27, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Skygge

Very likely a DIY project

• get your gear all laid out
  • get your documentation on the Linkstation handy (after reading it front to back)
  • call your Admin on the phone
  • at that point, probably done in a few minutes

The only reason I advise the Admin involvement is that your 'office' is already a node on a VPN - I don't know how the Admin would NOT have had this issue somewhere on campus before - sounds pretty basic

If you want to refrain from Admin contact, maybe it would be a good idea at this point to tell us the steps you HAVE taken... detailed step-by-step will help us paint a mental picture

Mar 27, 2015 11:18 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Thanks for the info. I'm taking care of the Airport first, will see for the RAID later.

But right now something weird is happening. On this network you can either use VPN or log in with student mail + password, but after some time it logs out. This is why I want to use the VPN.

However, since the Airport is on, and since I've asked and looked around (yesterday), those log in pages are not popping up, even though he VPN is not connected. I mean, it works by itself... but seems quite slow. Will try to contact some IT guys here yes.

How to make VPN work through Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.