Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up, updating and copying iPhoto

I have a new Macbook with Yosemite and want to use my old iPhoto library on it. This is at present on an EHD and I have been using it on an old iMac and I am worried about updating it before backing it up. I have many of the photos on CDs but not all of them. I have a new TM as well, but my iMac is too old to work with it and so I cannot back up the EHD to that first. What is the best way forwards - copy onto another EHD? Update and then back up on the TM? I obviously don't want to put my iPhoto library at risk!

Thanks in advance for your help.

null-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 1:42 AM

4 replies

Mar 27, 2015 1:53 AM in response to Asholing

The easiest thing to try is to copy the iPhoto library to your new MacBook (for example, to the Pictures folder) and open that library with iPhoto, so that library will be updated and adapted to the latest version. Then, if the library update went correctly, back it up with Time Machine onto an external drive.

Note that you have to keep your current iPhoto library (the one you used with your old iMac) if you want to view your photos on an older Mac.

Backing up, updating and copying iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.