Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop Safari from continuously reloading cookies?

I regularly check what cookies and other data are stored from visited websites. Many websites' cookies are repeatedly reloaded without me re-visiting that site. The worst offenders by far are New York Times, Washington Post and of course doubleclick. I would expect this sort of underhandedness from dubious news sites, marketers or **** sites but supposedly responsible national newspapers? come on now! Does anyone know how I can stop this subterfuge? Obviously I have selected 'Block cookies from third parties and advertisers' but it achieves absolutely zero.

MacBook Pro (17-inch), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 3:09 AM

11 replies

Mar 27, 2015 9:56 AM in response to junglejim1

The worst offenders by far are New York Times, Washington Post and of course doubleclick. I would expect this sort of underhandedness from dubious news sites ...

Those are dubious news sites. If you don't like them, don't give them your business.

The selection will do exactly as it says. Select "Always block" if you want. Most sites simply won't work.

Mar 29, 2015 2:18 AM in response to John Galt

I don't know where they are being stored, I regularly delete all website data but the unwanted cookies keep returning, some of the reloading cookies are recent visits but the regular ones, NY Times & Washington Post, I have not visited for well over a year. I have no idea where Doubleclick comes from. Often these and other cookies reload themselves without me doing anything online at all.

What does 'Post a representative URL' mean?

Mar 29, 2015 10:02 AM in response to junglejim1

Cookies are stored at ~/Library/Cookies/Cookies.binarycookies. As its name implies the file format is not human-readable.

The location is not relevant. What I want to know is the site responsible for delivering them. You wrote that they are from sites that you have not loaded. I don't take any particular action regarding cookies but I am unable to find anything resembling the ones you describe on the Mac I happen to be using right now, which is the reason for my question.

I have no idea where Doubleclick comes from.

DoubleClick is a Google subsidiary that derives its revenue from delivering targeted advertisements. It does so in conjunction with Google's pervasive personal information harvesting methods. The Internet runs on advertisements, and nearly all of them are delivered by Google. If you object to having your personal information repeatedly collected and sold to entities beyond your control, do not use Google's products. There will always be plenty of blissfully ignorant others for them to exploit.

Mar 30, 2015 8:22 AM in response to junglejim1

junglejim1 wrote:

I can't imagine not using Google,

Then you have incompatible goals sir. Google delivers advertisements and deposits cookies on your Mac in exchange for your use of their products and services. The personal information it harvests from your use of those services is sold to advertisers. You consented to Google's terms of use by using it. Your familiarity with its intrusive nature is therefore presumed.

Perhaps the reason I am not experiencing what you are describing is that I do not use Google's products and services. Some of them are shown in the screenshot you posted. I don't have that problem.

Good luck.

How can I stop Safari from continuously reloading cookies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.