Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Update" gone, "Open" instead.

Hi, I have a problem with app store on iPhone 6 and iPad 3.

When I switch to update tab to update my apps, all "Update" buttons are changing to "Open" so I can't update it. All those apps are not up to date so I am sure there are newer versions. It's a problem on both devices.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 3:10 AM

17 replies

Mar 27, 2015 10:58 AM in response to Dominik Salek

Seems to be a widespread issue and on Apple's end. I've done troubleshooting on 5 different devices and all have the issue. Contact Apple support:

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Other topics with the same issue:

Apps will not update

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2, can't update or download apps

Appstore update Error.

Update button transforms into Open after 2 secs

Mar 27, 2015 2:00 PM in response to Dah•veed

Do you mean on the Home Screen? Tapping on the app simply runs it. No update takes place. You are simply running the app. It has never worked the way you are describing it. Tapping on the app from the Home Screen or within a folder runs the app, despite whether or not an update is available.

If you mean in the App Store, the result when searching for the app that needs updating brings you to it's description page where the button that should say UPDATE again says OPEN.

Right now, I do not have the issue (after updating an app on the Mac/iTunes, then syncing it to the device). But it worked maybe an hour ago for 1/2 hour, then went back to having the issue. I have no idea if this current fix will "stick" or if it will again be back to having issues after awhile.

Mar 27, 2015 2:00 PM in response to Dominik Salek

Dominik Salek wrote:

Hi, I have a problem with app store on iPhone 6 and iPad 3.

When I switch to update tab to update my apps, all "Update" buttons are changing to "Open" so I can't update it. All those apps are not up to date so I am sure there are newer versions. It's a problem on both devices.

Then you probably have auto update switched on and the apps are already updated.

Mar 27, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Csound1

I'll try to clarify exactly what the issue is...

On one device, my iPhone 5s (I have 5 devices total), I have 13 apps on it that need updating. Going to the App Store on the device and tapping on the Updates tab, Those 13 apps are indeed in the updates list, however, the UPDATE button for each app instead says OPEN. The Update All button is dimmed out. When you tap on the OPEN button for these apps, the app runs as if it has already been updated, but in reality, you are simply running the older non-updated app that's already on the device. I have verified that they are the older versions under Settings/General/Usage/Storage/Manage Storage and noting the version number.

Mar 27, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Csound1

No, I understood what you meant about Automatic Downloads being enabled on the first read-through, however, it is NOT enabled on any of my devices. I have always updated manually.

Right now, I'm not having the issue as it either seems to have resolved itself or my manually updating one of these apps in iTunes and syncing it to the devices has knocked some sense into whatever the problem is. I'm merely trying to clarify the issue since others still seem to be having it.

Mar 27, 2015 2:20 PM in response to Csound1

I also had this problem as described by others here, on both my iPhone and iPad. The phone is configured to auto install updates, the iPad is not.

I think it was an issue on Apple's end and there are a number of threads where folks are describing the same issue. It appears to be fixed as updates are now happening as expected on both my devices.

"Update" gone, "Open" instead.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.