Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording realtime automation in GB 10.0.3

Hi,

Does GB record automation in realtime? - I am a guitarist and using an Apogee GiO with expression pedal I am able to play in GB using all the MIDI functions of the GiO including the expression pedal which is used for Wah and Whammy pedals etc - This all works perfectly and I can hear and see the pedals movements in Pedalboard and in Smart controls.

However, while I record a track I continue to see and hear the Wah pedal movements etc BUT when I replay the recording NONE of these movements are heard and NONE are shown in the Automation line (it is just a straight line over the audio).

The use of Wah and Whammy pedals is such an important and personal style unique to each player that I cannot beleive that Apple expect you to put these movements in manually - I would imagine it would be the same for Keyboard players using Mod wheels etc ...

The MIDI info is getting to GB as I can see and hear the Wah/whammy pedals working along with the pedals On/Off functions and the GB transport controls all work. It´s just when recording these changes are not captured.

Have I missed something obvious?

Many thanks

Mike

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 4:31 AM

5 replies

Mar 27, 2015 9:06 AM in response to dynapop

It looks like you are using the GiO as an external Control Surface which works with GarageBand. However GarageBand doesn' allow to record Track Automation online by performing specific fader knob movements (onscreen or per external controller). In GarageBand you can only create Track Automation offline, which means, drawing the Automation Curve with your mouse.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Mar 27, 2015 11:05 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your response ... yup the Apogee GiO is an audio/MIDI interface ... but totally useless if Garageband doesn't capture pedal changes and or Wah/Whammy pedal positions in real time ... Just out of intrest - how do keyboard players play without pedal/mod wheel etc being captured in realtime?

Do they record a piano piece and then have to go back and manually enter the sustain pedal positions?

Is Logic any different? does it allow the capture of these MIDI events in real time recording?

Many thanks for your help.

Mar 27, 2015 11:27 AM in response to dynapop

Mike, you have to make a very important distinction between "recording Track Automation" and "recording MIDI Events"

Track Automation

When you record track automation online (yes Logic can do that), you move the onscreen controller (Fader, Knob, etc) on your DAW, or use an external controller (Control Surface) to remotely move those onscreen controller. What is record are so-called "Fader Events". You can also create those Fader Events offline, by manually drawing those Automation Control Points (which are the representation of those Fader Events).

MID Recording

When you use a MIDI Controller, you record its MIDI signals as individual MIDI Events in GarageBand (or Logic). These MIDI Events are the notes you play on the keyboard or any controller (PitchWheel, ModWheel, etc) on a MIDI Keyboard. The important thing is that these are all MIDI Events that you can edit in the Piano Roll. When looking, for example, in the MIDI Draw Area of the Piano Roll Editor, you can see the MIDI Events for the ModWheel (CC#1). Although they look like automation at a (Control Points creating a continuous curve)., these are just MIDI Events

Here is a screenshot of GarageBand that shows Track Automation and MIDI Recording, both look like "automation", but they are different.

User uploaded file

Attention

Many Control Surfaces use MIDI as the protocol to send and receive data. This could lead to some confusion. Although you would send a MIDI signal from your controller to the GarageBand/Logic, you are not recording that MIDI signal. That signal is only used to remotely move specific onscreen controls in GarageBand/Logic. Only the Fader Events related to specific controls (and even controls on the Smart Controls) are recorded in the Track Automation and visible as an Automation Curve on the Track Lane.

I hope that explanation is not too complicated/confusing. I explain all that in great detail with lots of graphics in my manuals "GarageBand X - How it Works" and "Logic Pro X - How it Works".

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Mar 28, 2015 7:28 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi Edgar,

Again thank's for your patients on this ... So if I want to record in realtime my playing I will need to purchase Logic X as Logic has the ability to record Apple Pedalboard control surface movements (Wah/Whammy/pedal position/pedal on/off etc) made by the GiO? - they don't make this very obvious in the sales litruture!

Regards

Mike

Recording realtime automation in GB 10.0.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.