Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

interrupted update; how do I restore corrupted library?

My iPhoto update (to 9.6.1, I think) was interrupted due to a power surge. This seems to have left my iPhoto library (all 200+Gb of it) nonfunctional. I tried rebuilding my backup copy with iPhoto Library Manager but it says the album data file cannot be found. Googling around, I've found suggestions that all I can do is create a new library by importing all my pictures from the Masters Folder, which is pretty extreme. Is there any other alternative I have? I noticed that I have files called iPhotoLock.data and InterruptedUpgrade (when I examine package contents) and I do seem to have some files in Database; is there a way to rebuild that first?

Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 6:10 AM

8 replies

Mar 27, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Yer_Man

Unfortunately, I'm also backing up other data libraries, all of which have been growing lately, so it turns out I need a larger backup drive (had not been keeping an eye on this). I can close that barn door *now* but meanwhile I don't have any earlier backups.

I guess my question is can I do any restore from the files that I do have (even a partial restore would be better than nothing) or is it hopeless and there's nothing to do but grit my teeth and drag the Masters over into iPhoto to make the new library?

Mar 29, 2015 3:57 PM in response to Yer_Man

Tried but no luck. Running across another thread, I tried deleting them and reopening in iphoto. But then I got stuck creating new thumbnails (got up to 32 Gb of ram before I killed the process). I had an older library from another six months earlier (I periodically copy the entire library to a hard drive that I store elsewhere in case of fire, which I mean to do more often than I actually do) and I was ultimately able to use that as a basis to then copy just six months of photos over. Better than nothing, but it still seems to me that it should be possible to recreate the xml file somehow.

interrupted update; how do I restore corrupted library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.