Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung NX500 Video Conversion

HELP! I just received a new Samsung NX500 camera. This camera is capable of 4K video recording, but when I try to open the files with FinalCut or Quicktime, it says they are not compatible. The file format is MP4. I've tried converting the files to other formats, but it's just not allowing me to open it up. Does anyone else have experience with this camera yet? I know the NX1 saves in the same format and I'm finding that may people have had trouble with that as well.

Thank you,

Rob - Designs4Times

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 6:35 AM

I have no first hand experience with this camera. According to the search I did, the recording codec it uses is H.265, which isn't currently supported FCP X or by any Mac application that I know of. Open a clip in MediaInfo or VideoSpec and check what codec is reported. MP4 is a container, and while Final Cut can import (and export) most MP4s, it all depends on the codec.

What does the user manual say about editing?

Russ

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2015 6:35 AM in response to Designs4Times

I have no first hand experience with this camera. According to the search I did, the recording codec it uses is H.265, which isn't currently supported FCP X or by any Mac application that I know of. Open a clip in MediaInfo or VideoSpec and check what codec is reported. MP4 is a container, and while Final Cut can import (and export) most MP4s, it all depends on the codec.

What does the user manual say about editing?

Russ

Mar 27, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Russ H

Thank you, this is also the same info I'm finding about H.265. It appears to be a new codec and will hopefully be supported in the future. The owners manual is about useless when it comes to mentioning anything about editing the files. I guess this is for obvious reasons right now. I'm just going to have to be patient until the codecs become available in the future... near future I hope.

Mar 27, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Designs4Times

The NX500 uses the same h.265 codec that is used by the Samsung NX-1 which I recently purchased. Neither Mac OS X or Windows is yet able to natively play back this codec. There is an editor (Power Director 13 from Cyberlink) running under Windows only that will import and edit the H.265 codec. However, playback in Windows on my fully maxed out Mac pro (Late 2013) is not very good and therefore it is difficult to precisely edit using PD13. I have found the best solution to edit in Final Cut Pro X is to convert the H. 265 clips into Apple Pro Res 422 using the free and excellent Rocky Mountain Video Converter. You can find this by Googling it. This app makes full use of all cores on my Late 2013 Mac Pro and produces an excellent transcoding to Pro Res 422 at very high speed.

Tom

May 10, 2015 1:34 AM in response to Designs4Times

@Karsten:

Thanks for the Handbrake info !

@ Designs4Times:

I was able to convert the NX500 h.265 files easaly with " Bigasoft Total Video Converter " , lets hope that Apple on this matter gets a little bit faster to update.

Samsung products often don't match with Apple products, thats pitty , it might lead,for random brand user,s to the choise to leave this brand for that reason...

good luck with your files !

By the way, this NX500 is a super good camera !

Samsung NX500 Video Conversion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.