Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a 85w magsafe of a macbook pro to charge a macbook black?

I have a 85w magsafe of a 15" macbook pro. but i want to use it to charge a macbook black, can I use it?? The macbook does not suffer an overcharge or something??

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 7:57 AM

5 replies

Mar 27, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Licfayerobrians

See the quote below from Find the right power adapter and cord for your Mac notebook - Apple Support

I'm not sure if they both use the same connector but there is more information in the above link.

Power adapters for Apple notebooks are available in 45W, 60W, and 85W varieties. You should use the appropriate wattage power adapter for your Apple notebook. You can use a higher wattage adapter without issue, but doing this won't make your computer charge faster or operate any differently. Lower wattage adapters will not provide enough power.

Mar 27, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Licfayerobrians

A few resellers of Apple products offer the MagSafe port adapter so newer charger will fit

some of the older magnetic ports. I've seen them online, when not looking to buy one.

Another source for replacement original equipment MagSafe power supplies for older

MacBook models to check into, may be OWC macsales.com. Check to be sure of a

best match, or talk to someone at such companies before purchase. Helps to be able

to correctly identify the computer so that a knowledgeable reseller can match one up.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Can I use a 85w magsafe of a macbook pro to charge a macbook black?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.