Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the iTunes App Store asking for my credit card info for getting a FREE app?

Looking for free game apps on my iPhone6, I found several under my search for FREE Apps. When I tapped the 'GET' button, the iTunes store started to load but then went to my credit card info and wanted my security code for the credit card i normally use on iTunes. Why would there be any need for my credit card info on a FREE app? I've gotten free apps before but none asked for credit info.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 8:51 AM

You've gotten free apps under the same Apple ID you are using now? When you go to your Account Info in iTunes, is the None option selected for Payment Method?

Cheers,

GB

8 replies

Mar 27, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Banquos1957

To add to what Gail had to say, if you have used the Apple ID in the past in the iTunes store, the credit card info is what Apple uses to verify your identification. If the credit card has expired, then it will automatically request update information, even for a free app. You can log into your account and update the info, or as Gail said, check for None as an option. This will especially happen if the free app that you are trying to download has in-app purchases.

Mar 27, 2015 9:11 AM in response to gail from maine

Yes, I've gotten free apps using this same iTunes account--recently, too. After your reply, I went to the iPhone 'Settings' and looked under the 'iTunes & App Store' . Under my 'Apple ID' i looked up my payment info and it is correct with the credit card info I use to purchase music and/or apps. But after reviewing the info, I couldn't select 'Done' and leave that screen--it wanted my credit card security code. So I guess that needed to be updated, as ChrisJ4203 indicated. Thank you both for your help! 🙂

Why is the iTunes App Store asking for my credit card info for getting a FREE app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.