Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help migrating 2006 Macbook Pro to 2012 Macbook Pro

Hi -- The screen on my 2006 Macbook Pro (running 10.9.2) completely stopped working last weekend. It doesn't light up at all. I've tried everything under the sun to get it functioning again but I believe it is just totally dead. I tried plugging an external monitor, mouse and keyboard into it and cannot get it to show up on the screen, which is driving me crazy! The monitor works just fine with my 2011 Mac Mini (running 10.6.8). I have been able to access the hard drive via target disk mode using the Mini and copy all of the files onto an external drive, which brings me relief that not everything is lost. I tried to boot the drive in startup manager on the Mini to do a Time Machine backup and the Mini didn't even enter startup manager. It just completely ignored the fact that I was pressing the Alt key at startup and proceeded to login normally! I have tried it several times and no dice. I'm feeling frustrated! Argh! Am I doing something wrong? Am I crazy? 🙂 Anyways...

I bought a refurbished 2012 Macbook Pro and I would like to transfer all of my applications from the 2006 using migration assistant but I've read that some of them might not transfer correctly, such as Adobe CS6 suite and Final Cut Pro X. Unfortunately, I don't have the disks for these applications. Am I totally out of luck or is there a way to do this that I haven't seen yet? I'm willing to try anything at this point. Another question I have is will a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter work with my 2006 MacBook Pro?

If you have any insights on how to transfer all of my stuff over, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 8:11 AM

3 replies

Mar 27, 2015 9:55 AM in response to angelapangela

When you tried to boot the mini using the macbook hard drive was the macbook in Target Disk Mode? Why not just start up in TDM connect the two macbooks with the thunderbolt/firewire adapter and run setup assistant on the new macbook? You can also use ethernet.

If some of your apps don't transfer properly you'll need to have the discs.

Mar 27, 2015 10:00 AM in response to SeaPapp

Yep, it was in target disk mode. I don't have a thunderbolt-firewire adapter, but I'm going to get one and try that -- I honestly wasn't sure if it would even work with my older Mac. I ran migration assistant with the Macbook Pro 2006 in target disk mode connected to the 2012 with an ethernet cable and it didn't find the drive.

So there's really no way for me to gather all of the various folders for FCP and put them on the new Mac?

Need help migrating 2006 Macbook Pro to 2012 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.