Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer my mac mini data to a new mac mini?

I used Migration Assistant to transfer my data from my old Mac Mini to my new Mac Mini. Now when I turn on my new Mac Mini it shows a login screen with my old mac and my new one. If I login to my old one everything is there, however it still looks like the old Mac. If I login to my new mac there's nothing there from the transfer. It's like having my old Mac Mini and the new one all in the same computer. How do I get everything from the old Mac to the new one?

Apple TV

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 8:52 AM

6 replies

Mar 27, 2015 9:06 AM in response to DVous

That's because you used Migration Assistant after you setup your new MacMini. The trick is to use Setup Assistant when you setup your new MacMini.

You can't use Migration Assistant to migrate data to an existing User Account. It Migrate your old User Account.

Your options now:

1.Delete the 1st new User Account that you created when first starting the new MacMini. You would do that while signed into the older User Account. Job done.

2. Erase the drive and reinstall OS X, and when prompted use, Setup Assistant. This would take a lot of time, and you would wind up with the same configuration as option 1.

Mar 27, 2015 10:09 AM in response to DVous

You sign on to the account that you migrated from the old MacMini. That would be the one with all of your old data.

Then you go to System Preferences, Users & Groups, click on the pad lock, enter your password, then highlight, under Other Users, the account that you created when you started created with your new MacMini, and press the "-" button.

How do I transfer my mac mini data to a new mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.