Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Safari is no longer working with many sites. However Chrome and Firefox work fine. I would like to re-install Safari in an effort to clear up the problem I can not resolve.

My Safari is no longer working with many sites. However Chrome and Firefox work fine. I would like to re-install Safari in an effort to clear up the problem I can not resolve.

OS X Yosemite (10.10), Mini,Macbook Pro,Air,TV,iPhones

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 8:48 AM

10 replies

Mar 27, 2015 9:16 AM in response to bullfrogII

That symptom is often due to adware having been installed through getting software from some unscrupulous download hosting sites. Before trying to reinstall Safari, please see the corrective steps in this Apple article:

Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

For more info on some of those "bad" download sites, please see:

http://www.thesafemac.com/?s=boycott&submit=Search

You can be fairly sure that any site offering a download free that would cost money anywhere else is going to load you up with stuff that will make your Mac run poorly.

Mar 27, 2015 10:44 AM in response to bullfrogII

1. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Turn all extensions OFF and test. If the problem is resolved, turn extensions back ON and then disable them one or a few at a time until you find the culprit.

2. Select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data...

and confirm. Test.

3. If the above steps don't resolve the problem, please describe it in more detail.

Mar 27, 2015 12:20 PM in response to KiltedTim

That is a fair point. I didn't want to share that detail but rather just wanted a fresh install, which I could do before the latest release of the OSX. But I can find no links to the downloadable standalone version of Safari. And I hate running around in ~/Library and /Library deleting plist files.

The main site I need the most is an internal to my work intranet application built on Oracles Apex rapid application development suite. It was working last week, and works fine on Firefox and Chrome, but no longer on Safari. After logging in and authenticating the redirected url, starts rapid cycling between a large number if similar urls in the url entry box within Safari. It just goes crazy.

I also use dlink security camera and am having very inconsistent results accessing live video feeds.

There are more, but the point is I don't want to reinstall the whole OS just to "factory default" Safari.

Mar 27, 2015 12:23 PM in response to bullfrogII

There is no downloadable standalone version of Safari. It is fully integrated with OS X. If you need to re-install Safari, you will have to re-install OS X.

You might try creating a new user account on the machine and see if it behaves the same way when logged into that account to verify that it is not something specific to your user account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.