Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Amazon Fire TV will not connect to Airport Extreme

I received the Fire TV unit last weekend, hooked it up, it found my secure network, but when I enter the network password it (Fire TV setup) spins awhile then the message "connection to "network name" failed; please try again". I called amazon support who tried a number of things, but all failed. They sent a 2nd unit to me yesterday, hooked it up, etc, etc ... same result.

I do have the Apple TV and an amazon Kindle Paperwhite, connected to the network and don't remember any issues with setup. Even my Samsung Note II (with the right app) connects with no issues.

Amazon support has now turned me over to Apple, but my support expired 2 years ago.

BTW, firmware on the Airport is up to date. I'm running OSX 10.6.8.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

Don

MacBook Pro 15 i5, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 1:30 PM

4 replies

Mar 27, 2015 4:58 PM in response to Don Mann

Welcome to the wireless tech voodoo area..

Here is where you don your carved demon mask and start sacrificing chicken livers to the gods of ether. Placating the evil spirits of ether (angry that you are not using ether-net) will make life hard until they get their fill of fresh pate.

What airport are you talking about?? Actual model A1xxx from the base please?

I recommend a new clean setup.. make sure all names are short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. 10 brownie points for names of 10 characters or less.

Please also name the wireless bands separately and in the same manner.. eg.. base station name.. AEgen4 (use a number of actual gen) wireless name AE24ghz and AE5ghz .. then use passwords with the same rules.. mix of case and numbers only.. pure alphanumeric. 8-20 characters.

But do a test first with no password.. does it connect?

This is a crucial test.. failure to connect to a short name with no password is a sign of fundamental dysfunction and even chicken livers won't help.

Last action in the piece, set the wireless channels.. stick to 2.4ghz and try channels 11, 9, 6 in that order.

If all fails.. sorry it is not compatible. If it works immediately add security.. wpa2 Personal should work.. but if not try wpa1.

If it all fails you can add a cheap wireless AP to the network.. post how you go and if you need further help to do that.

Mar 27, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Don Mann

BTW, what's a cheap wireless AP?

Anything in the bottom end of the TP-Link range.. like 842 942 whatever numbers they use now.. say $40.

Anything in the bottom end of any range will work.. one of my favourites is now out of stock but the dlink DIR-645 has super 2.4ghz and on ebay might be $20 on a good day.

However any wireless router can be pressed into service as WAP (wireless access point).. anything even adsl type or cable modem type... as long as it has wireless it is a combo of wireless plus router plus modem.. and we can split off WAP, by simple setup called WAN bypass.

Get there when you have issues and AE doesn't work.. just tell me the cheapest you can lay hold of and I can tell you how to set it up.

Amazon Fire TV will not connect to Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.