Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help me improve audio!

Connection on my lav mic came loose, so audio interview was inadvertently recorded with the camera's internal mic. I was listening on headphones but didn't pick up on it. Re-recording is not an option. Audio sounds a bit thin, hollow and echo-y. So far, my use of various audio filters and level adjustments hasn't helped a whole lot. I know it's a long shot, but if someone has some suggestions, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks.

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 12:48 PM

Search the whole of the interwebs for "reducing reverb" or "reducing echo." also try "improving on-camera mic audio". This has been discussed for literally decades and you will find many interesting., but not necessarily helpful, threads on many different audio and video editing forums. Solving sloppy audio is often much harder than resurrecting dead people and reshooting their interviews.

You can hit the Logic forum or forums dedicated to more advanced audio applications for suggestions. Transposing their advice for inverted phase shifting duplicate files using esoteric filters to FCPX will be interesting.

Please return and tell us how you solved this problem.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2015 12:48 PM in response to marketingfromdallas

Search the whole of the interwebs for "reducing reverb" or "reducing echo." also try "improving on-camera mic audio". This has been discussed for literally decades and you will find many interesting., but not necessarily helpful, threads on many different audio and video editing forums. Solving sloppy audio is often much harder than resurrecting dead people and reshooting their interviews.

You can hit the Logic forum or forums dedicated to more advanced audio applications for suggestions. Transposing their advice for inverted phase shifting duplicate files using esoteric filters to FCPX will be interesting.

Please return and tell us how you solved this problem.

Mar 27, 2015 10:58 PM in response to marketingfromdallas

marketingfromdallas wrote:

… Audio sounds a bit thin, hollow and echo-y. …

'too much room' (unwanted reverb) asks for professional=pricey tools. follow Davids advice.

On a low budget, try the Compressor tool FCPX comes with. It has some 'Vocal' presets to experiment with, which gives 'thin' recordings some boost. Secondly, the Graphic EQ allows to rise the voice freqs (3-5kHz) and lower others ...

Mar 27, 2015 11:55 PM in response to marketingfromdallas

A trick from legacy FCPro versions was to stack audio tracks.

FCP X does not use tracks but you can try this:

Select a clip then Copy.

Next, Clip>Detach audio.

Select the separated audio only part and Copy.

Then use Edit>Paste as Connected Clip. Make sure playhead is exactly at the start point for the paste.

Repeat as required.

You will see something like this:

User uploaded file

The three audio tracks in the above example will play as one track but louder.

If the original audio is bad then it's just louder.

Try some audio tweaks, Voice Enhance can work well on weak voice.

User uploaded file

Al

Mar 30, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Alchroma

The idea with multiple copies of the same clip is to apply different filters to each copy. Eventually you end up with a combination that appears to help. It's really difficult. And it's a pain because the different filters require separate attenuation (volume) settings. If you boost the bass on one copy, laughter may overdrive that channel so you have to set keyframes for the levels, carefully.

Please help me improve audio!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.