Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule backup for multiple users

Hi all,

I just purchased a time capsule for backups. I have gone into my account on a desktop Mac and set it up. Presently it is doing it's first large backup. I have my wife and 2 daughters with user accounts also on this Mac. My question is will this backup, backup the whole computer including other accounts files or do I need to go into each account and setup time machine for individual users as well

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 10:15 AM

It will include them.

3 replies

Mar 27, 2015 3:12 PM in response to Choch436

It is much harder to check what Time Machine has backed up.. you can assume that everything currently needed to reproduce the same setup on another computer is there.

To double check you must spend a bit of time understanding both how Time Machine works and how to restore from it.

Read up a bit from Pondini's excellent KnowledgeBase of articles.

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

Q7-9 are highly relevant.

Also go back to the main page and read the main articles on how TM works.

I must also say at the moment, on Yosemite in particular, I would not fully trust Time Machine.

I encourage people to make a bootable clone using Carbon Copy Cloner for example to a USB drive. You do not need to do it continually but the clone makes for a much easier return to normal.. since you can simply change boot disks. It costs $40 and is excellent value.. there are others you can buy.. and I am not connected to CCC in any way.. other than I use it and been amazed at what a great piece of software it is.

Time capsule backup for multiple users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.