Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If read receipts are on, will they work on Macbook?

If someone has read receipts turned on on their iPhone, but they read the iMessage from their Macbook, will it still send a read receipt? It seems like it doesn't. Because if this person checks the message from their phone, I see the read receipt. But if they read it from their Macbook, I don't see a read receipt, just that it was delivered. Is this correct? Or is this a bug?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 7:52 AM

nno it doesn't quite answer the question.

I Have my read receipts turned on but I don't have a MacBook. It's someone else I'm talking about. They have read receipts on on their phone, and it works fine there. But if they check my text message from their MacBook then I don't get a read receipt, only that the message was delivered. So my question is, do you have to enable read receipts on the MacBook too?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2015 7:52 AM in response to mario49

nno it doesn't quite answer the question.

I Have my read receipts turned on but I don't have a MacBook. It's someone else I'm talking about. They have read receipts on on their phone, and it works fine there. But if they check my text message from their MacBook then I don't get a read receipt, only that the message was delivered. So my question is, do you have to enable read receipts on the MacBook too?

Mar 30, 2015 7:44 AM in response to ktanner5

Hey ktanner5,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you want to know if OS X has read reciepts in Messages. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Messages (Yosemite): Accounts preferences for iMessage

Send read receipts

If you enable read receipts, people who send you messages will see when you’ve read them.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

Mar 30, 2015 3:54 PM in response to ktanner5

Hi ktanner5,

Read receipts will only be sent when it is turned on for the device the message is being read on. It sounds like your friend may have read receipts turned on for their iPhone, but if your friend wants to display read receipts for messages read on the MacBook, your friend will need to turn on read receipts in the Messages Preferences on the MacBook.

Cheers,

Mario

If read receipts are on, will they work on Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.