Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage and Facetime sign in

Hello all,

from one moment to another (one week ago) I can't use iMessage on my Macbook. iMessage was working fine on my iPhone, so i thought it was a problem with the laptop alone. Therefore I tried almost all suggestions I could find on the internet (apart from reinstalling the OS and reseting the nvram). Then I logout all accounts in all devices and found that iMessage only works on my iPhone because of my phone number... Basically, it shows that there is some kind of issue with my Apple ID, isn't it? I already changed the password, added another mail, and still nothing. Actually, there is something strange: after trying to login with my secondary mail, I can sign in with Apple ID, but then it goes to a verification screen and sents me back again.

Anyone with clues to what is happening?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 11:04 AM

16 replies

Mar 27, 2015 1:28 PM in response to ensoramen

Hi,

The iPhone would normally work with only it's Number.

You would then create an iMessages account on the Mac with and Apple ID.

Then you add the Apple ID to the iPhone when you know it is working.

There appear to be at least three Mac/Apple ID login issues that mean the Apple ID may or may not work on the iPhone.

You need to make sure the Mac version can Sign In and work before you tackle other issues.

If you use the Apple Icon Menu > About this Mac and then click twice on the line that tells you the current OS it will change to the Build Number then the Serial Number.

Is the Serial Number present ?

If it is go to the Applications/Utilities folder and open Keychain Access

Top Left select Login if it is not already.

Bottom left select passwords.

On the right find the "IDS: yourAppleID.com-Auth Token"

Delete this.

Restart Messages.
Has this Helped ? (report what you saw if it does not).

If at this point the Mac Version works, then go to the iPhone.

Go to Settings > Messages and remove the Apple ID.

Set the iPhone to Airplane mode for 2 minutes

GO back to the Messages settings and make sure the iPhone Number verifies before doing anything else.

When it has send (from the iPhone Number as it is now the only one listed) to the Apple ID (Mac effectively).

Reply from the Mac so you know the iPhone Number is receiving as well.

Now Add the Apple ID to the iPhone.

Restart the app on the Mac and accept the pop ups about what the iPhone is Using.

If the Mac version did not work at the stage earlier post back to tell us.

User uploaded file

8:28 pm Friday; March 27, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Mar 27, 2015 1:34 PM in response to ensoramen

I can't sign in on any device with my Apple ID or alias...

That's a problem. How did you sign in to this support site? That requires an Apple ID, although it might not be the one you would like to use. An alias won't help.

Do all that you can to fix it yourself by following all the steps here: https://www.apple.com/support/appleid/

If you can't get anywhere, you will need human intervention: https://www.apple.com/support/appleid/contact/

Mar 27, 2015 1:49 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

(I talked about the iPhone because it is just seems [to me] that some kind of strange issue is blocking my Apple ID for these two services. For example, I asked an AppleID to a friend and it sign in perfectly on my both iPhone and Macbook.)

I did those procedures (and others) but nothing.

About the first step, it shows a strange number when I click twice (build number) but it does not change to another... the serial number is always available bellow that little window. That serial is valid, according to Apple's verification page.

Mar 27, 2015 2:07 PM in response to ensoramen

Hi,

I was confused earlier by this thread being in Mavericks (I gave you the actions to see the serial number in Mavericks but as you say it is visible from the start in Yosemite).

Were you getting any info in the main Messages window before this ?
iMessages Contacts turning red and saying "Not Registered with iMessages "?

Or iMessages being sent then getting the "Not Delivered" info messages under the sent item ?

The iMessages servers use unique identifiers fro each device and ID

For a Mac version this is the Serial Number for the Mac and the password which create an Auth Token in the Keychain

The Servers are separate from any other service Apple run so it can mean the Apple ID works in iTunes and App Store but not in Messages for the iMessages account.

The only point FaceTime and the iMessages account are linked is by the IMAgent app that supports both apps and helps with the login process.

Try this.

IN any Finder Window go to the Go menu And hold down the ALT key whilst doing so and select the Library that appears.

Navigate to the Preferences folder.

Find the com.apple.imagent.plist item and drag it to the Trash.

Restart the Mac as this app starts up when the Mac does.

This should recreate the .plist and if it was the faulty item Messages should login to the iMessages account and so should FaceTime.

User uploaded file

9:07 pm Friday; March 27, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 27, 2015 2:11 PM in response to ensoramen

An Apple ID that isn't yours isn't going to help you, so you might as well sign out of all services using that Apple ID. Then, try signing in using the one you need to use. If you recently changed your Apple ID password you need to review all the steps here: What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password - Apple Support. It's an extensive list of tasks. If you enabled Apple's two step verification it's an even greater headache.

Maintaining two Apple IDs complicates matters in a hurry. The extreme measure is to sign out of all iCloud services, then sign in using the one you want. That's all you can do. After that, you might need to share your misery with Apple so they can fix it.

Mar 27, 2015 2:20 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

The messages worked perfectly until a week ago.

When it happened, the number got red, yes: second option.

I also tried those suggestion but nothing.

In the meanwhile, on the my apple id, I've erased my phone number, saved, and saved it again... Don't know why but now I can login on both devices.

Unfortunately, imessage is not working: "not delivered" when I try... Will reboot and see if it helps.

Mar 27, 2015 2:30 PM in response to ensoramen

Hi,

As I said earlier there are three main Not Logging in properly issues only one of which has a Error Message and that says Contact Apple Support.

The other two are the ones I listed in my Last post.

At this point John Galt an I get to the same place.

You need to Contact Apple Support.

Level One people tend to be Script Led and believe everything is Software or Hardware related and anything else costs (that is grossly oversimplified).

You have an Apple ID issue (free to fix) but getting past the Level 1 person needs you to specifically tackle that (Ask for a Level 2).

Explain that you believe you have an Apple ID issue with the iMessages servers.

Tell them your Serial Number appears and is valid and the history of Red Contacts and Not Delivered notifications.

The Level 2 still might want to get your to give more details but persevere.

This is an issue that is Device specific.

If however your device and ID have been "refused" at the iMessages server for long enough it will not work on other devices.

For instance placing the iPhone in Airplane Mode needs the Number to verify again with the iMessages server as it is "de-registered" when you purposely disconnect.

User uploaded file

9:30 pm Friday; March 27, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 27, 2015 5:50 PM in response to ensoramen

In my specific case; the solution appeared to be:

Phase 1 (sign in issue):

1) Login: https://appleid.apple.com/

2) Erase entry for phone number, save, and logout.

3) Login and save the number.

This made me able to sign in again on iMessage app (on both iPhone and Macbook).

Phase 2 (not delivered issue, after sign in solved):

1) Open Key Chain Access ( go to Applications>Utilities)

2) Select Login at the top left side under Keychains

3) Select All Items on the lower left side under Category

4) Search for entries of IDS.

5) Highlight and delete all entries that has IDS.

6) Search for entries of FaceTime

7) Highlight and delete all entries of FaceTime

8) Search for entries of Messages

9) Highlight and delete all entries of Messages

10) Reboot!

Running as before.

Hope it helps other people...

Thanks to Ralph and John too!

Mar 28, 2015 12:23 PM in response to ensoramen

Hi,

I have never had my Mobile number in the Apple ID settings.

I don't think and have never thought that playing with what is stored about you at that Apple page has ever made a difference.

The Phase two about sorting the Keychain out is much more valid.

User uploaded file

7:23 pm Saturday; March 28, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 28, 2015 7:32 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph, I don't want to argue about wether it is valid or not. For sure you have a much deep understanding of this matters than me. But it would not feel fair if I did not share here my experience. As I told, I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I can assure that I did virtually everything I found on the internet about my issue and none of them solved it. The phone number thing was a "desperation" measure; didn't think it would work either, and then - apparently - without rebooting or another complicated stuff I could sign in again.

About having the mobile number associated with my Apple ID: I've never entered on the Apple ID manager before this problem... therefore the info in there was or 1) 'taken' by apple from previous connections or 2) requested by apple during registration. Feel free to suggest my experience to other similar problems from other users.

Phase two was copied by another post. It solved my *particular* second problem after sign in.

I am not looking for any prestige in this forum; I hope I will never return here again and don't even use this nickname in any other site...

Hereupon, your answers and effort is much appreciated by me. Farewell!

iMessage and Facetime sign in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.