Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt display gradually stopped working for external monitor.

I have an external monitor connected to a 2013 iMac through a thunderbolt adapter. The monitor began losing signal randomly as if the computer was going to sleep. At first I could get it working simply by plugging the adapter into the other thunderbolt port but throughout the day the length of time it was working for grew shorter and shorter. Now when you plug it in to the port the monitor just briefly flashes 'No Signal' and goes back to sleep. I have tried resetting NVRAM and SMC several times. The monitor and adapter work when connected to other identical iMacs and when I try other monitors and adapters on my iMac they also get no signal from the Thunderbolt port. Any help would be great!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 11:32 AM

2 replies

Mar 27, 2015 11:46 AM in response to jason.pg

"The monitor and adapter work when connected to other identical iMacs and when I try other monitors and adapters on my iMac they also get no signal from the Thunderbolt port."

This leads me to believe that either the ThunderBolt port or the ThunderBolt chip in your iMac has gone bad. It sounds like time to take it to Apple for them to evaluate the problem.

Thunderbolt display gradually stopped working for external monitor.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.