Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 home button issues

Recently my iPhone 6 home button physically stopped responding. While driving down the road with the Maps app navigating, suddenly I see the phone showing the screen for Siri and the typical statement if you have no internet, "Siri not available, connect to the internet." She said this several times for no reason at all.

I did have internet and I was not touching the home button and it was not plugged in to a power source so "hey Siri" did not trigger this.

Since then the iPhone thinks I am constantly holding down the home button. It randomly activates Siri or goes to the home screen or the multitasking screen as if I am constantly pressing or holding the home button. However when I do actually touch the home button it physically clicks and releases like normal. It is not stuck down and it clicks normally. Since turning assistive touch on to use the home button and then turning Siri off it is useable except the occasional voice control screen popping up since Siri is off. Any idea what causes this or if anyone else is experiencing the same issue? Also touch ID is not working.

Running iOS 8.2

no other problems experienced

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 11:46 AM

1 reply

Mar 30, 2015 9:04 AM in response to mattfromvirginia beach

Hello, Matt.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

From your description of this issue, it sounds like your Home button may no longer be functioning. Here are the troubleshooting steps that I would go through for this.

If the Home button doesn't work

The Home button is on the front of your iOS device, at the bottom:

User uploaded file

If the Home button doesn't work, follow these steps:

1. Press the Sleep/Wake button to lock the device.
  2. Wait a couple of seconds.
  3. Press the Home button. Your device should wake up.
  4. If device doesn't wake up, follow these steps. Test the Home button after each step.
  • Restart your device.
  • Check for debris or dirt around the Home button and clean it with a soft cloth.
  • Remove any protective film or case if it covers the Home button.

If the Home button still isn't waking the device, or if it's damaged, contact Apple Support to set up service.

Get help with buttons and switches on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists, see the section labeled Get more help.

Cheers,

Jason H.

iPhone 6 home button issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.