Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3.0 in a 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 running OS10.10

Looking for a USB 3.0 card for my 2008 Mac Pro, vs 3.1 running OS 10.10.

Tried Cal Digit but then unable to start my Mac at all. Card being returned to check it out.

Interested primarily in 3.0 to use with memory card reader + possibly to speed up printer, etc.

Any good recommendations?

I could not find any recent posts concerning this issue

Thanks

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 11:55 AM

8 replies

Mar 27, 2015 8:38 PM in response to AAZ

AAZ wrote:

Tried Cal Digit but then unable to start my Mac at all. Card being returned to check it out.

Interested primarily in 3.0 to use with memory card reader + possibly to speed up printer, etc.

Any good recommendations?

I could not find any recent posts concerning this issue

Thanks

You may have gotten a faulty card. I have a first-generation CalDigit USB3/eSATA card in my 2010 Mac Pro, and have had no problems. I tried a first-gen card in a 2006 Mac Pro also, and it worked well with Leopard through Lion in that machine; just not with Tiger. Trying to boot from the Tiger drive with the card installed resulted in a kernel panic.

A USB 3 card may not work with all kinds of attached devices, however. What printer are you trying to speed up? Does it have a USB 3 port?

Jul 12, 2015 4:38 PM in response to AAZ

It might be interesting that I once tried this card:

ORICO PFU3-2O2I USB-3.0-PCI-Express-Steckkarte (Low profile, 2x USB3.0 intern, 2x USB3.0 extern, Fresco FL1100-Chipsatz)

and it was a catastrophe. I had an external 3 gb USB3 drive and got nothing than data corruption ("volume must be repaired"). The same drive worked fine with any of the built-in USB 2 ports. Also a USB 2 stick seemed to work fine with the USB 3 ports.

Jul 13, 2015 8:27 AM in response to AAZ

AAZ wrote:

Tried Cal Digit but then unable to start my Mac at all. Card being returned to check it out...

Which CalDigit card did you try (the current version is the "Pro" model) and which slot did you put it in? If it's the Pro, that's looking for a PCI Express 2.0 slot and only two of your four slots are 2.0; the others are 1.1.

USB 3.0 in a 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 running OS10.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.