Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selectively restore apps?

My Ipad 3 is getting slow. I have lots of apps I never use. Is it possible to wipe the ipad and restore only some apps and data that I really want? All I can see are two options:

• Set up as New Ipad
  • Restore from backup

Many thanks

John

iPad, iOS 8.2, Ipad 3

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 2:31 PM

3 replies

Mar 27, 2015 11:20 PM in response to quantumturbo

You can only restore the complete backup, you can't only restore some of the apps. You could either delete the apps from your iPad that you don't want, take a new backup, and restore to that new backup.

Or delete the apps that you don't want from the Apps part of your computer's iTunes library so that the restore can't put them back - none of your iTunes downloads (apps, music, etc), nor you own music and videos in the Music and Videos apps, are included in a backup, a restore looks to pick them up from your iTunes library.

Prior to doing that, have you tried closing apps via the iPad’s multitasking bar and/or doing a soft reset to see if that improves things ? To close apps : double-click the home button to open the taskbar, and then swipe or drag an app's screen from there up and off the top of the screen to close it, and click the home button to close the taskbar when you've finished.

Soft-reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a rebooth

Mar 30, 2015 7:05 AM in response to quantumturbo

You can delete an app from the Apps part of your computer's iTunes library, you don't have to delete it from your computer's hard-drive (as long as the app isn't in your iTunes library then a restore won't be able to copy the app or its content back). And as long as you keep a copy of the app's .ipa file somewhere then you can add it back to your iTunes library via File > Add To Library in iTunes, or dragging-and-dropping it into iTunes.

You could delete what you no longer want on the iPad directly on it, take a backup after doing that, and then restore to that backup.

Unless your iPad is near capacity then you it shouldn't have any impact on performance

Selectively restore apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.